He's a Monster?

Some spectators gasped in shock. Others shifted in terror. 

A man stood in the corner of the room—a cloak hid his face and body from the world.

The man was practically invisible to everyone in the room. His presence was washed out by the disturbance Dream caused. However, the man still paid attention to the trial. His hands clasped his throat as it felt like it was closing. His eyes blinked and searched for answers that didn't yet exist.

Dream could feel the eyes staring at him. He kept his eyes trained on the ground below.

The priest waited for the audience to settle before he spoke once more.

"We have evidence to back these claims. Eyewitnesses are present to share their story of when they caught Dream carrying the Queen's body away. We also have a journal. This journal written my Dream himself proves all of the accusations to be true-"

The priest rambled on.

Dream winced at the topic of his journal. 

The man in the corner of the room began to feel light-headed. The room slowly spun as he felt the ground shake, although he was the only one who could feel it. His vision went dry, and his palms sweat profusely.

A group of knights stepped on a podium in the box to present their story.

"We had listened to the information someone had given us on Dream. We were told he was an assassin sent in to kill the King. We rushed to the Grand Hall, where we knew he was, hoping to arrest him. We marched in and then saw him dragging the Queen's body by her ankles. He was drenched in blood. He and the Queen were the only two present in the Grand Hall. The crime was apparent. Dream had murdered Queen Victoria."

The other knights mumbled in agreement with the testimony.

The crowd gasped in shock as the jury scribbled on parchment.

"Thank you. Will the next presenter of evidence please step forward?" The priest spoke softly to someone in the shadows.

A man entered the box. His hands and feet were chained together, and two knights escorted him to the podium. His stern appearance was recognizable as Dream's old friend.

Sapnap.

Sapnap cleared his throat shakily and began to speak.

"As many of you may be aware, I am Sapnap. I'm the Chief Commander of the Knights of Sicarius."

The crowd gossiped amongst themselves.

Sapnap fidgeted before he began to speak.

"I know you all might be afraid. I was captured in the ambush a couple of weeks ago. I was locked in the dungeon when I offered a trade with the knights. Before the capture, I was in the castle's halls slaughtering servants and destroying items when the Knights of Wisteria ambushed our group from behind. All of my allies were slain. I was the only one who remained alive. I fought for my life, but it proved to be of no use as I was outnumbered. The knights captured me. While I was being dragged away, I recognized a man who stood watching at the end of the hall. It was my old best friend, Dream. I called out his name in hopes that he would come to my rescue. However, he turned his back and ran from me. I felt true betrayal. My friend had just abandoned me once more. You may be wondering when he had initially abandon me. Dream and I grew up together. We lived peacefully in Sicarius Kingdom. He told me one day he wanted to become the best assassin Sicarius Kingdom has ever had. I figured I would become a knight so that we could work together one day. He began his training at eleven years old. He quickly became the best trainee in the village. I was impressed by him, and I was always there to encourage and support him. I started training to become a knight at fourteen years old. I felt like I was being left behind. Dream was getting recognized by officials in the kingdom. I confided in him and told him how I felt. However, he ignored me and told me I should train harder. I would be lying if I said I wasn't jealous of him. At sixteen years old, Dream was officially initiated into the Kingdom's assassin group. He went through a brutal series of trials. The final test was always kept a secret from the trainees. The last task approached, and I was there to help him prepare for the worst. The test came, and he was anything but prepared. The kingdom had captured his family. Dream was taken to a remote location and forced to kill his own family. It was all in the name of having no attachment. The fatal flaw of an assassin is having attachment to anything. It was traumatic for Dream. He told me how the screams of his mother haunted his nightmares. He wished to turn back time and undo his actions. He wanted to hug his parents one last time. Of course, I helped him through it all. I only wanted to comfort him. He was sent out on numerous trips, all of which ended in him killing his targets perfectly. The King of Sicarius assigned his most significant task yet. He wanted Dream to assassinate the royal family of Wisteria. Dream accepted the job as it would grant him a comfortable life for the rest of his days. Before he left, I made a promise with Dream. A promise that one day, we would return to each other. He promised me he would give me the stars once he returned. I waited years for him. He never returned home. The day when we ambushed, I thought he would save me. I thought he would fulfill his promise to me. But he didn't. Instead, he turned his back. After hearing from others, I learned he betrayed me without me even knowing. I asked that he would never replace me, that I would be his best friend forever. I would be number one to him always. After all, I was there for him when no one else was. I soon learned that he had replaced me with George, the very man he was meant to kill. I was heartbroken. Dream had forgotten all about me and turned on me like I was nothing. I figured I would return him the same fate he gave me. I confessed his true identity to the Wisteria Knights in exchange for my life and freedom. I'm grateful they accepted my offer."

Sapnap stepped off the podium and was walked back into the shadows of the stadium.

The room erupted in chatter. 

Dream was called many things. 

Selfish.

A villain.

A monster.

Greedy.

A turncoat.

The dry ground was soaked by the tears that fell from Dream's eyes. If only Sapnap had read the journal. If only Dream had a minute to explain.

The priest turned to Dream.

"Do you have anything to say? Maybe an apology to your 'dear friend.'"

Dream raised his head and looked at all the faces watching him. His eyes stung with tears and his teeth ground together.

"You call me a villain, yet the only thing I search for is peace and harmony. You call me a monster, yet I only tried to better myself as a person. You call me selfish, yet I am the one who will suffer and lose the most of all of you. Believe me; I'm not too fond of this path either. I'm sure nobody would want this path. I would give the world to undo my actions. Unfortunately, this life is the only one left. Fate is real. Fate can only be so kind to someone. Its kindness was bestowed upon me when Sapnap comforted me. It was bestowed when George became my friend. However, there are some things in life you regret. I happen to have more regrets than most people. Sapnap, please read my journal entries to you. It explains everything-"

Dream was cut off by a hand that muffled his words.

A silence washed out the gossip that previously occurred.

The priest cleared his throat, eager to move to the next topic.

"The journal has provided us with many answers. I will read out a few entries that might make you all hate Dream more than you already do."

Dream's eyes widened. His breathing became rough and uneven. Sweat dripped down his face.

The man in the corner stood silently. He swayed gently.

His brown hair ruffled as his sobs brushed the hood off of his face. 

George stood silently in the corner, weeping.

His mind raced as he tried to process Dream's actions. 

What other sins has Dream committed?

An assassin? Was he truly sent in to kill George?

Why hadn't he killed George already?

Had he killed Victoria to avenge George?

His mind fogged as his thoughts were clouded with emotion.

His emotions officially overflowed when George heard Dream's greatest regret of all.

AN: This chapter was random, but I've been updating every day, and I'm going to try very hard to make the following chapters emotional, so sorry if I don't update for a few days :) thank you for all the support! Over 1.6k reads! thank you all! <3