s1:ep27→bring a knife to a gunfight

╭─────────────────╮
ᵉᵖⁱˢᵒᵈᵉ ²⁷
❝𝘽𝙍𝙄𝙉𝙂 𝘼 𝙆𝙉𝙄𝙁𝙀 𝙏𝙊 𝘼
𝙂𝙐𝙉𝙁𝙄𝙂𝙃𝙏❞
╰─────────────────╯

"Mornin' boss!" You sang, breezily sauntering into the cafe like you own the place. A soft chime of the bell echoed through the establishment, notifying your loud entrance.

"It's late afternoon."

Akane, your manager, grunted and turned to face you. "Look who finally decided to show up." If he wasn't so busy cleaning the utensils, Akane would've thrown the knife in your direction with no hesitation. "I see that you're not late today." 

You coyly grinned and 'cutely' bumped the heel of your palm against your forehead as if you forgot that you have a whole ass job to tend to. "Sorry, I was busy with school activities and whatnot! I'm surprised you haven't fired me yet since you hate my old man so much!"

The older man rolled his eyes and returned back to washing the silverware. The lack of response and the clinking of the plates raised your anxiety tremendously.

"Please-don't-fire-me," you hastily added.

Akane clicked his tongue, "I don't let petty personal issues get in the way of work. If it's school-related, you should've notified me about it." He returned his gaze to you mechanically. "By the way, I'm banning you from mentioning that good-for-nothing."

"Sure, sure," you said as you skipped over to the counter, "By the way, I got you souvenirs from O-ki-na-wa!" You enthusiastically sang, showing off the pastries you've bought in case Akane didn't forgive you for your absence. "Shortbread cookies and Okinawan doughnuts from yours truly!"

As he dried his palms on his waist apron, Akane mused, eyeing the paper bag in your hand, "You do know that we have shortbread on our menu, right?"

"Wait, what?" You raised your eyes to the decorated board. "Oh, haha, it's the thought that counts, right!?"

"Right. . ." he said as he examined the contents of the paper bag, "The doughnuts. . .are crumbled."

"Just accept the goddamn gift, you old man!" you angrily huffed, shoving the treats towards him. "I spent almost half of my allowance on that!"

"Awamori sake would've sufficed."

"I'm underage," you grumbled as you stomped to the locker room to put on the cursed maid outfit. Before shutting the door, you heard a brief 'thank you' from outside. The old bastard really had to wait until your fuming to say his thanks. It's either he's making fun of you or he's too shy to show gratitude, you have no idea. 

Well, at least you're not fired.

You slowly stripped your school uniform in the sulkiest manner and began buttoning up the soft blouse. Today's classes were extremely easy -- and by easy, you peacefully slept through the whole discussion without any interruptions. It was suspiciously calm today.

"Ah, I forgot to ask Kaidou for notes," you mutter to yourself before you halfheartedly tied the bow on your work uniform. You'll just have to crawl through his window later and copy his notes to compensate for the time you spent sleeping in class. His notebook may be littered with doodles, but his handwriting was neat, surprisingly.

You heard your manager call you from outside, informing you that it was time to attend to the customers.

"Oi, Aka-chan, is it just me, or am I always working alone? Where are my co-workers?"