1 | Jade

Stanley, our loyal driver, drove the tint windowed Cadillac Escalade through the busy streets of Los Angeles, with the city being full of pre-Grammy parties

               Stanley, our loyal driver, drove the tint windowed Cadillac Escalade through the busy streets of Los Angeles, with the city being full of pre-Grammy parties. Aside from the driver, I accompanied in the vehicle, clothed comfortably in a Champion sweatsuit, and sneakers. The box braids in my hair hung over my right shoulder with the hood above my head. Behind the Celine oversized cat eye sunglasses, underneath my left eye it throbbed slowly.

               I disregarded the aching throughout my body, staring out the window, and noticed the sight of nearing the luxurious hotel. My eyes rolled when I noticed four men paparazzi awaiting out front. I pushed up my sunglasses more, as Stanley parked at the LEVEL hotel entrance. I grabbed the tote bag, placing it on my shoulder, as Stanley walked around the front of the SUV and opened the door for me. I climb out and the cameras instantly start to flash in my direction. My head lowered, cupping a hand beside my left eye and holding the strap of my tote bag, while ignoring the questions flying at me.

               "Are you ready for the Grammy's, Jade?"

               "Jade, when are you going to release another album?"

               "Jade, where's Cairo?"

               I finally get into the upscale lobby with the help of Stanley blocking paparazzi from reaching me. The mention of my husband made me tense up. But I hid it well—as I do every time.

               I rode up on the elevator to the twenty-ninth floor and sauntered to the one bedroom suite door my makeup artist sent to me. I was greeted by all of the team my husband hired for he and myself and I went straight the bedroom where my glam team awaited my arrival.

               "Good morning," I greeted quickly. "Can everyone leave aside from Carla?"

               My eyes zeroed in on my makeup artist and cousin as she settled on the makeup chair. She has skin the color of peanut butter and plum dyed tresses. I could see the confusion written on my other glam team's faces, while Carla stood from the chair and shook her head. She knew why I kicked them out.

               Although they were skeptical, they walked out and I closed and locked the door behind them. Sitting down the tote bag on the bed, I walked over to the chair and removed the sunglasses. The sight of the bruise under my eye made her inhale deeply and pull me into a embrace. I could feel the tears threaten to come out, but I looked up towards the ceiling to prevent my emotions from spilling out today.

               "Okay, Carla..." I tried to pull away, but she kept me close. "Carla, please. I'm fine, okay."