Excessive Suspense

I lost track of time.

   The set of events that were to follow were...traumatic, to say the least. The plan was simple yet risky. Danwer becomes bait and lures the monster into a corner, where the damage of explosion was the highest. When I told him of his role...he was, for the lack of a better word, pissed.

   Taking advantage of the valuable time that he provided, I had to break through the layer of hard red rocks to reach and ignite the yellow explosive underneath. Piece of cake right? Yeah well, that's what I thought. 

   So obviously things had to go terribly wrong after a few seconds. 

   The first few moments went according to plan; We readied ourselves and charged at the monster with a loud battle cry. What we didn't expect, was for the monster to call backup.

   I don't know if it phoned a friend or sent out some kind of distress signal, but huge cracks formed in the surface of the ground and out of it came another monster, similar to the first.

   The only difference between the two was their colour. The second monster was the complete opposite of the first in terms of the colour. While the eyes of the first had a dark brown pupil, the other had a light cyan colour.

   Every aspect of the monsters, down to the very spots on the skin, were completely identical in everything but colour. It was like watching two clones, one with the naked eye and the other with an invert filter.

   Both of the monsters roared and shout out their tentacles towards us at the speed of a bullet. We barely managed to dodge the attacks, out reflexes being the only thing keeping us alive. Things started looking up for us until one of the monsters got a lucky shot and managed to stab Danwer in the chest. He gasped and fell to the ground.

   "No!!!" I screamed and rushed towards him. Anger surged within me and I released a huge torrent of energy in the direction of the monsters. All it managed to do was distract them long enough for me check up on Danwer. He kept gasping and I tried my best to close the rather large wound.

   He took a few more raggedy breaths before turning completely still. "No, no, no...don't die on me yet!" I said and tried desperately to help him. When I had almost given up hope, Danwer opened his eyes and gasped sharply. He bolted upright, his eyes wide, and let out a pained groan.

   I watched as the wound healed itself, at a pace that I didn't think was humanely possible. Danwer groaned loudly and stood up. He looked at me and spoke in a voice that was heavily laced with tiredness.

   "Stupid curse" he said, taking a short gasp of air, "Won't let me die"

   I wouldn't exactly call it a curse. I mean, living forever is a good thing right? Then I thought about all the downsides of living forever. Eternal suffering, boredom, lack of excitement and most of all...dealing with this celestial crap forever.

   Good thing I wasn't immortal. Wait...dam it, didn't lucifer say I'm gonna be immortal after I die?

   Danwer patted my back and hefted his axe. He got into a fighting stance and waited for me to do the same. We both readied ourself and charged at the two angry monsters, who had by now recovered from their daze, one more time with renewed vigour.

   We parried and slashed at the various attacks of the creatures, steadily making our way forward. Once we were a few hundred feet away, I started sending volleys of pure energy at the monsters. Slowly, the two beasts started backing away. I once again extended my senses to find the place with the largest concentration of sulphur. 

  Close to our current position, around fifty feet ahead of the monster's current standing spot, was a massive buildup of yellow sulphur. I motioned Danwer to get behind me and closed my eyes, preparing for the strain. I funnelled a large portion of my energy into my hands, making them glow a bright white light.

   I willed my sword to disappear in order to free both my hands. I then pointed both my palms towards the two monsters, one at each, and fired a thin blue beam of super hot plasma. The beam hit the creatures, causing them to roar in agony as their epidermis charred from the heat and stagger back into the spot where I want them to be.

   Not wasting a second, I re-summoned  my sword and drove it through the ground right below me. I redirected another batch of power into it and within the blink of an eye, it burst into flames. 

   As fast as I could, I used the last of my strength to create a sphere of energy around me and Danwer. We both crouched into a 'brace position' and I waited for the explosion to happen. I took a quick look back to see the sword, still embedded in the ground, giving of a greenish glow, the hellfire on its blade spreading across the rock. 

   I turned forward and covered my head with my hands. I waited and started counting in my head. One...Don't worry it's gonna work. Two... it's just a slight delay, its all right. Three...okay so what? it's a little late. No need to worry. Four...anytime now. Now you can start worrying. Five...oh come on! I can't mess th—

   BOOM!

   The cavern was engulfed in a blue hurricane of hot poisonous flames. I stumbled from the force of the explosion hitting the sphere of protection that I had created. The cave rumbled and its ceiling started to crumble. Huge rocks in the shape of knives fell from above. They hit the shield, creating a visible ripple, but couldn't piece it. Each one left me gasping for breath  and struggling, in order to keep the energy of the barrier consistent.

   I heard loud roars that could only belong to those two hideous creatures. I heard those sound and for some reason, I was happy to hear the anguish and pain. I wanted them to suffer. To feel the pain that they so rightly deserve.

   Why was I thinking this? Dangerous thoughts Percy, dangerous thoughts. I cleared my head and opened my eyes. I was surprised to see dark tendrils of shadows. I was even more surprised to see them originating from me, starting at the spot my feet touched the ground. As I rid myself of the sadistic thoughts, I watched the shadows recede back and dissipate. [[{ Something to ponder upon. It's a direction I might consider in the future 😉 }]]

   Then out of nowhere, a huge rock the size of a truck hit the barrier. I yelled in effort as I pushed myself over the limit. I gave out whatever energy I had left and channelled it into the barrier before I felt my vision blacken and my body go limp.

   My eyes closed and when they opened I was in a strange but familiar location. In front of me was the place that I despised...a place that I knew I had to return to again, in the future. I looked ahead to the sky blue house that I had once grown so fond of before speaking in a frustrated tone.

             "Why on earth am I here..."

<Remember to vote>