Chapter 7 - The Twiwizard Tournament

She sat there like always, the sounds of father drunkenly yelling inside the house as the bright moon glared down upon her. While she was far too young to understand exactly what he was talking about, she knew he was upset. Was it because she did something strange again? 

She didn't like it when he was upset. He would hit and scream at her, calling her a freak, as if that would somehow make him feel better. That's why she sat outside, on the front step of the house, waiting for her father calm down.

However, today was different. This time, someone approached her, a boy, looking barely older than her. What caught her attention were his eyes, they shone a bright golden colour that seemed to glow in the dark. It seemed so pure, so warm, unlike the dark cold look of her fathers.

The moment he spoke, it was filled with concern. "Do you need help?"

She tilted her head, not knowing his intent. The boy was asking if she needed help? Did he even look at himself? A slightly torn oversized jacket, scratches on his face, and he looked out of breath, as if he was running from, or after something. In short, if anyone needed help, it was him.

So she asked him back. "Do you need help?"

The boy looked taken aback, as if the thought never occurred to him. "I...don't know."

She pondered over those words, testing the limits of her young mind as she tried to comprehend them. Why wouldn't he know? Isn't it natural for one to know when they need help? Is what she thought with difficulty. At least, when her father needed help, he would always yell at the phone for money.

"Is he hurting you?" The boy asked, pointing at the door behind her before pointing at a bruise on her arm.

She simply nodded as the boy frowned. He looked as if he wanted to do something about it, but he knew that he didn't have the means to do anything. That's probably why he looked frustrated.

"Can you...sit with me? Until he calms down?" She asked hesitantly.

He looked surprise before nodding. The two children sat in silence for a long time, even long after the yelling had stopped, they still sat there, finding comfort in each others presence as the girl fell asleep. The boy kept watch over her, all throughout the night. Not once did he nod off, not once did he move. He could have continued his search for that one thing he was searching for, but still, he stayed. All until the pitch black sky up above lit up with the first sign of the new day coming.

When the girl woke up, it was bright, the sun up high. She found the torn jacket covering her body, like a blanket, and the boy nowhere to be seen.

...

"Vincent, wake up, we're nearly there."

Vincent groggily opened his eyes and yawned. He stared outside the compartment window where a large castle across a lake came into view, the castle that was known as Hogwarts. Along with Harry, Hermione, Ron and Arnya, they had shared a compartment of the Hogwarts Express together. It seemed that Neville, however, had joined sometime along the way while he was asleep.

It's been a good couple of weeks since the Quidditch world cup incident. Vincent had returned to London the day after, staying another night at the Weasley's before heading back. He had told Mr. Weasley about his suspicions, but even with the evidence that the Omnioculars provide, it seemed like he still couldn't believe it was possible that Crouch could do such a thing or be somewhat involved, being a someone who values the rules over his own son. Mr. Weasley did suggest that it must have been some sort of malfunction in the Omnioculars, despite how unlikely it was.