Chapter 2

"When do you think she'll wake up?"

"Anytime now."

Sophie's eyes fluttered open, and she stiffened, and tried to sit up in her cot, but she winced, and Elwin, Foxfire's doctor, laid her back down gently. 

"What happened?" Sophie asked, and sat up anyway, despite the pain. 

"You fainted, and Keefe carried you here," Elwin replied.

Sophie groaned. "Sorry, Keefe," she said, turning to the tall Empath on her right. 

"Are you kidding? I got to be the Mysterious Miss F's knight in shining armor!"

"More like rusty armor." Sophie retorted, and Elwin stifled a laugh. 

Keefe clutched his chest dramatically, pretending he was mortally wounded. 

"So, HOW did you burn yourself like this, Sophie?" Elwin asked, inspecting her burn some more. 

"How bad is it?" Sophie leaned over, and was overwhelmed with nausea when she saw the burn on her leg, which was considerably smaller, but still made her sick to her stomach. It was still changing colors, and it was now ice blue.

"Stop dodging questions, Foster." Keefe said.

"I'm not dodging questions-"

"Fine then. What happened, Sophie?" Elwin questioned, "How did you come across this acid?"

"ACID?" Sophie yelped, then sighed. "I bet she made me make it on purpose."

"Who made you make it on purpose?"

"Lady Galvin."

"LADY GALVIN?" Keefe laughed, "Man, I HAVE to hear this one."

Sophie rolled her eyes. "Well, the school made me take up Alchemy again, and- wait, Keefe has to leave."

"Why?" Keefe and Elwin asked at the same time. 

"He's going to be annoying about it."

"What? No I won't! Don't you have any faith in me?" 

"Nope." Sophie deadpanned.

"Wow, Foster. Stone cold."

Elwin smiled at the two of them in a way, making Sophie fidgety. Then he asked, "Hey, who says I won't laugh?"

"Then I suppose I can't tell either of you."

"But I'm your doctor!" 

"Fine. But Keefe, leave." Sophie glared at him. 

"Foster!"

Sophie thought for a second. "I guess you can stay, but I will have no mercy if you laugh. Remember, I can inflict."

"Of course. I promise I will not laugh," Keefe said, already trying not to. 

Sophie sighed. "Well, I walked into the classroom, Lady Galvin said-"

Sophie continued to tell them about how Lady Galvin called Sophie her least favorite prodigy she accidentally said, "Well, if it isn't my least favorite Mentor," and how it all went downhill from there. Keefe was red in the face, looking like a bubble that was about to pop at any second. 

When she finally got to the end about how she thought it said WHAP and not whip, Keefe burst out laughing. He howled as she pushed him out the door with her telepathic powers, and she turned to Elwin, who was snickering quietly. 

"Hey! I thought at least you would TRY not to laugh!"

"C'mon! If you were us, wouldn't you laugh?" Elwin said, still chuckling.