twenty

"Where are we going?" The first thing I asked Liam right when he joined me in the back of his SUV. Harold, our driver started the engine before the car was driven smoothly down the driveway.

"Your mother has arranged a baby shower for one of her friend's daughter" Liam finally answered, "Madison, something."

"Oh." I gulped, nodding my head in acknowledgement, "Didn't know she's pregnant."

"So did I." He mumbled ironically under his breath making me sighed.

The distance from Liam's house to mine though wasn't quite far, I wish it was closer. Another second sitting in a confined space of an SUV with him and I could die.

There was tension building up in the air as we both sat in silence. The only sound being the noise of a car engine and us breathing. I kept my glance fixed outside the window, taking in the view of people and the beauty of New York City on a sunny morning.

About twenty minutes had passed and we were close to reaching my home. I couldn't help but grow restless at how long it was taking us by car. Usually, a short ride wouldn't bother me as much but this time, things were a bit different. It was difficult to sit there and pretended as if I couldn't sense his strong gaze observing me from head to toe. Every time I looked at him, Liam would quickly avoided meeting my glance and look behind me to the window, making it appear as if he hadn't been staring the whole time and I was just too full of myself.

The way he was acting made me very uncomfortable. There was no way to deny the inevitable tension between us since this morning and how obsessive he sounded yesterday.

How could I ever move on from that?

"We're here, sir." Harold's announcement had finally put an end to this torture of a ride. I glanced at Liam one last time when Harold got out of his seat and jogged around the car to get the door.

"Is there something on my face?" I asked him.

Liam stared at me deep in the eyes and for a moment, said nothing. Just heavily breathing and then he sighed, "No." His response came in a short murmur before he raised his volume to his normal speaking tone, "All my brothers are here today and by that, I mean Luke. I don't think I need to remind you as to how you should behave around him."

So many words inside of my head I wanted to say but recalling the event of yesterday and how he threatened to ruin me for other men, I could only give him a nod.

"Good girl." He reached out to grab my hand and my stomach did a double flip. Just in the same time Harold reached Liam's side of the car, he held the door open for both of us and we got out.

Liam gave my hand a light squeeze once in a while as we walked deeper inside the house. As if it wasn't my own home we were walking into, I let him lead. All eyes were on us and most of those hard gazes belonged to the ladies. Clearly, motivated by jealousy at how in love we looked. Some whispered and some were eying our clasped hands. Instead of feeling proud of us, I felt hesitant, nervous and the next thing I knew, I was yanking my hand out of his hold.

Liam looked down at me worriedly. His lips parted as if he was about to say something when a voice cut him off.

"London!" I looked up to see Giovanni running toward us, "Holy moly, marriage does agree with you. You look absolutely gorgeous!"

"Thanks, and hello to you too." I mumbled and she lightly chuckled before we exchanged a quick friendly hug.

"You, brother." Giovanna placed two hands on the sides of her hips, glancing over at her brother who had been standing right beside me, "I did not know you were coming. Don't you usually be at your office during this hour of the day?"