Chapter 4

Flashback
2 years ago
(TW)

We're going to a party tonight. Actually, I think it's more of a get together. I'm not quite sure, Andrew just told me to dress 'pretty' because he's inviting me to something with his friends.

We've been dating for 6 months now, I'm happy he feels comfortable bringing me around his friends.

Does he think I don't usually dress pretty? I'm assuming he meant he wants me to wear a dress, which I can do. I can dress pretty for him.

I dig around in my closet until I finally find a suitable dress. It's old. Pretty but old; I haven't worn a dress in ages.

It's a light green spaghetti strap sun dress, with small white flowers scattered about.

This dress is definitely not my style anymore the last time I wore this was in freshmen year. At least the green color compliments my greenish-brown eyes.

I slip on some white sandals and throw my white purse over my shoulder. I put on some dainty jewelry, random rings and necklaces from around my room.

I stand in the mirror, overlooking myself. I actually think I look really pretty. I spritz some perfume before sprinting out of my room and down the stairs.

He told me he'd pick me up outside, I make my way out to wait for him.

I like when he picks me up because I like going places in his car, it's nice. Sometimes it smells like a sweaty gym bag after his practices but it more often smells like cool ice air freshener.

I stand outside for a few more minutes before I finally see his black suv pull up. With a smile on my face I run up to it and open the passenger door.

I notice how he doesn't open the door for me like he usually does.

After fastening my seatbelt, I lean over the center console and kiss his cheek sweetly. "Hi baby."

He doesn't acknowledge me as he starts the car and keeps his eyes on the road.

"Are you okay?" There is concern laced all through my voice.

"Yes I'm fine." He seethes.

I flinch.

Maybe he's just stressed. He doesn't mean to take it out on me.

I sit back in my seat, and lock eyes with the dashboard. I'm just going to keep quiet until we get there.

He's never acted this way towards me before; he's never not opened the door for me, or snapped at me for asking if he's ok.

I wonder if something happened. Did I do something?

The car ride was roughly 20 minutes. 20 minutes I had to sit with the anxiety that I could have done something to upset him that will now ruin his mood for the rest of the night.

Is it because of my dress? Why doesn't he like it? I thought it was pretty.

We finally arrive to a big house, which I'm guessing is our final destination. Andrew gets out of the car, slamming the door and proceeding to walk to the front porch of the home, leaving me behind.

I think I really messed up this time. I just don't know how.

I scramble out of the can and try to catch up with Andrew, who's now knocking on the front door.

After a few moments the door is opened by a boy about our age. I feel like I've seen him before, he might be one of Andrews teammates.

"Hey brother I'm glad you could make it!" The boy greets Andrew, dapping him up. He then turns his attention to me and looks me up and down. "Hey."