Things Left Behind & Love is Blind

CHAPTER TWO:

Third Person Narrative:

The ramshackle house creaked in the gentle night breeze as Harry Potter made his way downstairs. All was quiet, all was still.

He had managed to get dressed without waking Ron; his rucksack was already packed

He had managed to get dressed without waking Ron; his rucksack was already packed. He lingered for a moment outside of Ginny's room, knowing that Elaina was in there, just yards away from him. He wanted nothing more than to burst in, than to run to her. But instead, he headed for the stairs.

The living room was empty. The kitchen too. He was out of the door in seconds, shutting it with a soft click. And without another look back, he walked towards the path through the tall grass.

But it could have been no more than a few seconds until he heard the door open. He paid it no mind, continuing as if he had heard nothing; maybe it was just his imagination.

"Going somewhere?" came Charlie's angry whisper.

Harry turned, caught. He choked down the flooding emotion of guilt, reminding himself that he had to do this. In his mind, they had to let him go.

"What're you doing awake?" inquired Harry, trying to change the subject. "You could've given me a bloody heart-attack."

"I couldn't sleep. Now," said Charlie, moving on as if his insomnia was nothing to worry about, "where do you think you're going?"

"No one else is going to die," said Harry, looking to his feet. "Not for me."

He turned on his heels, intending to leave it at that, and walked further down the garden path. Charlie, stubborn as ever, followed after him.

"For you?" he questioned bitterly. "You think Mad-Eye died for you? Think George took that curse for you? Contrary to your belief, mate, this war is a whole lot bigger than you. It's always been bigger than you, than all of us."

But Harry continued to walk, not looking back.

"So that's it then? You're just going to leave us behind? Going to disappear? Without even saying a proper goodbye?"

Harry stopped in his tracks.

"After all we've been through... you'd think you'd at least have the decency to say goodbye..."

"Why does it matter?"

"Because we are all willing to die for you —"

"Yeah, and that's the problem!" yelled Harry, whipping back around. "Don't you see? You're in danger —"

"Whether you're in our lives or not, we're all in danger!" Charlie bit back, his jaw clenched. "Honestly, Harry, the war doesn't just end because you've decided to fight all on your lonesome. If anything, you'd just be signing your own death sentence."