Chapter 20- savagery

Watching the man I once called a brother leave again.
I knew his words held truth, Mikasa would protect him because of his ability  to be seen as a host for her blood to protect but I also knew that she too was more than that.
"Right. We need to go out the window." I said sliding the window open.
"Layla but-"
"They will have left people at the door to take you three." I added. "We have to catch up with them, to get Hange and the others back. To stop him before he reaches Zeke and Levi." I smiled briefly. "You have a mode of transportation." Lightning began to flash around me. "Me." I jumped out of the window, transforming as I went. The trio were held tight in my hands, I allowed some leeway for Mikasa and Gabi to move, so I didn't crush them. Armin could then heal.
I ran. Shouts came from behind me. The guards I had mentioned. I knew at that at some point they would capture the trio but right now...that would be over my dead body.

We ran. And I knew where Eren would go next. Where it all began.
Shiganshina.

I kept running. I knew eventually I would outrun the Jaegerists but now I needed to put on a burst of speed.
I wondered what Levi was doing and with an ache I knew what his next move would be too. I skidded to a halt, not wanting the trio to be hurt in the process.

"Layla?" Mikasa asked hesitantly. She was still hurt from Eren's words, and Armin too was hurt from Eren's punches. My heart ached again.
"Layla?" Armin asked, his voice too hurt. They had watched the man I once called brother tear them apart. They had been family for so long. All of us had.
I shook my gigantic head at them.
Gabi too watched me, her eyes wide.
"You. Go. With. Them." I said slowly, my titans voice sounding slurred. "I follow." It was still weird talking in my Titan form. The titans vocal cords weren't used to speaking.
"What?" Armin said.
"You need to go with them." I said, it took effort to get it out quickly. "You need to find out the information we will need." I had very little time. I could hear them close behind us. "I need to go find Levi. I will follow you as soon as I can."
Mikasa just stared at me, Gabi's eyes were very wide and I could feel her shaking. Armin looked me dead in the eyes. For what seemed forever- he stared. Then he just nodded. I lowered them to the ground, and whispered. "Have faith." Before standing and sprinting away.

It hurt to leave them there. But I would swear that I would save them and get Gabi and Falco home, even if it killed me.