37°

* Omotara *

  Dazzline and I were both sitting stiffly on the couch, staring at Grandma uncomfortably, just like she was staring hard at us.

"So, you're the Tamara my son and his wife dumped?" Grandma Toke asked, staring at Dazzline.

  Ouch. That hurts.

    That's the reason I don't like her, one of the many reasons actually.

   She doesn't choose her words carefully.

   I looked at Dazzline who was forcing a smile. "Yes ma".

   "I just hope the people who brought you up didn't spoil you as much as femi did to Tara" Grandma said. "I heard it was a broken family that brought you up"

  Won't this woman just shut the fuck up?!!

    "No. Not a broken family" Dazzline's voice was calm but there was an edge to it.

   "Okay oo. So, do you know how to cook?" She asked and Dazzline smiled a real smile.

"Yes ma" she replied.

    She turned to me. "Omotara, how are you feeling? Are you using your drugs daily?"

   "Yes ma. I'm feeling much better now, grandma, thank you" I replied.

   "That's good to hear. Now, go into the kitchen and jollof rice for me" she said and I widened my eyes.

  Ehn? Me? Cook? Shey me that I barely enter the kitchen ni abi she was talking to Zari?

  "Ma, Tara is sick, I don't think she should be doing stressful works like cooking" Dazzline said.

   "Who said cooking is stressful? Besides, I wasn't talking to you, young lady" Grandma replied.

   "Emmm, granny, there's no more jollof rice ingredient" I lied.

  "Ehn ehn, fried rice nko?" She asked.

   "None ma" I lied, again.

"Okay oo. Rice nko? Abi you don't have rice ingredients too?" She asked.

  I was about to lie again but I stopped myself. It would be obvious that I was lying.

  "We have it granny" I replied with a forced smile. I looked at mom and dad who looked like they were trying to hold in their laughter.

    "Then go and cook it. Dazzline, follow her just in case she needs any help. And yes, open the kitchen door, Tara must be the one to cook it" Grandma said. Then she muttered something like 'Shebi you think you're smart abi?'

   I felt like crying. God! Must this woman always look for a fault in everything I do? Cause that's obviously what she's trying to do, forcing me to cook.

  I forced a smile. "Yes Grandma" I replied.

  Dazzline and I walked to the kitchen. My phone beeped. I took it out from my pocket and read it. It was from Dazzline.

   Don't worry, I'll guide you through it.

I smiled at her in relieve and she smiled back.

  I love this girl till eternity.

  Hmm my subconsciousness mocked. Shebi you told her you hated her last week.

I smiled and shook my head as I began to rinse the rice.

       Step two of disappointing grandma on how to make delicious rice; put a lil bit of salt and ororo in the rice pot and put it on fire.

I nodded and texted back. Just how much salt ehn?

   I can't tell you. Put a lil salt and taste it, if it's not enough, put a lil bit salt again.

     I tasted the water after adding salt. Oohhh God! How do I know if the salt is enough now?! I groaned inwardly.

                ***********************

  "Tara, goan bring salt for me." Granny said as soon as she tasted her rice.

    I walked to the kitchen and came back with a jar of salt.

    "You know, the salt in here is not enough" she told me, pointing to the rice.

   "When I was your mother's age, my son, femi, was always the one who cooked and it was always perfect" Grandma said when we finished eating.

    "Do you both have boyfriends?" She suddenly asked.

    Dazzline and I glanced at each other, then my father, who shook his head.

   "No ma!" Dazzline and I said in unison.

   "No? Okay, well, I have friends whose sons are well to do. I should probably fix a date for you both" she grabbed her phone.

   Ehn? Date for awon tani?

   "Grandma, I think I have a boyfriend" Dazzline said quickly.

  "Me too" I added.

   She eyed us both and dropped her phone. "You both think you're smart abi? I knew you both have boyfriends. But at your age, you really shouldn't be thinking about such relationships unless you're ready to get married"

  "I'm very sure that that Tara is not even a virgin again" she added and I looked down.

God!

"Be thinking about relationships instead of thinking about how to cook" she eyed me.

"You know, the key to a man's heart is through his stomach" she began. "When I got married to your grandfather..."

   Dazzline and I exchanged a knowing look, Ati wo one chance.

Well well well, Grandma Toke ehn, who has a grandmother like her?

I certainly don't.

  Who missed getting into Tara's head?

Cause I did.

Thanks for reading.
Stay safe.
Till next time.
Love y'all.
Buhbyeeee!!!
💖💖💖💖💖.

Word Count: 850.