25. Calm Before the Storm

Cosette was in the middle of getting ready when there was a knock at her front door. She panicked for a second, thinking it was Ben picking her up for their date but then realized that it was much too early for him to be showing up.

She, for whatever reason, decided to trust her brother. Cosette had given him the reigns and was letting him set her up with Benjamin Nott. He didn't give her any information but informed her to wear something casual and that Ben would pick her up that evening.

However, it was the middle of the day and there was no way Ben was this early.

Cosette struggled to put an earring in as she headed out of the bathroom and down the hallway. When she opened the front door she was more than surprised to see Hermione and Ginny standing on her step.

"Hi," she looked between the two of them uncomfortably. Cosette should have seen this coming. She left the burrow yesterday without saying a word to anyone. The last thing she did was slap George and then she vanished through the fireplace.

"May we come in?" Hermione politely asked, but Ginny had already pushed her way in and was staring at Cosette in utter confusion. Hermione offered up an apologetic smile as she stepped inside as well.

"What the hell, Setty?" Ginny blurted out. "What happened between you and George in the kitchen yesterday?"

"Why did you slap him, she means," Hermione quickly translated Ginny's questions as they were both impatient to figure out what caused her little outburst at the burrow.

"Oh you heard that?" Cosette chuckled to herself, but neither of the other girls looked amused. Awkwardly, she cleared her throat, "He really had it coming."

"And why's that?" Ginny's tone of voice was quite alarming and not at all what Cosette was used to. Ginny had always treated her with such courtesy but now all she cared about was interrogating Cosette.

She looked between Hermione and Ginny a few times and contemplated what to say. She couldn't tell them about what happened with George even though she so desperately wanted to get everything off her chest. There was no way either of them would be able to look at her the same once she said that she had slept with him.

They were both incredibly biased and undoubtedly going to judge her.

Hermione was her friend, yes, but she was much closer to the Weasley's than her. Ginny actually was a Weasley and Cosette feared that she would lose all respect for her if she admitted to sleeping with George.

But she had to say something.

"It was all Lottie's fault, really," Cosette sighed. "I should have hit her if I'm being honest."

"What do you mean?" Hermione asked, crossing her arms in front of her chest. "What did Lottie do?"

"Ever since I met her she's been nothing but a bitch to me," She let out a bitter chuckle and looked everywhere around the room except at their faces. "I just think she's got a lot of red flags that George is ignoring and when I tried to tell him how she's been treating me, he thought I was lying. He thought that it was me who was trying to stir up problems with her."

Hermione sighed and Cosette could tell that whatever she was going to say next, wasn't going to be what she wanted to hear.

"That's what it seemed like, Setty" She shrugged her shoulders. "The first thing you said to me yesterday was that Lottie was there. She hadn't even said a word to you and you were already making an issue out of her arrival. Plus, you couldn't stop glaring at her at the table and then out of nowhere you basically accused her of attacking you in the alley. Where did that even come from?"