Chapter Thirty-Five

(A/N: Sorry it took SO long to update this, and I regret saying that next chapter might take awhile as well. So sorry, but thanks for sticking with me! Thanks for reading!)

"Is something different about me?" A child's voice floats from your lips, as the first memory plays. Perhaps not the oldest one, but it was definitely some time ago.

"What?" An older woman looked down at you, arching her right brow. "What makes you say that?"

"Something bad always happens around me. I always mess up at everything." You reply, looking up at her. She was beautiful, and almost looked like you. In a strange, parental way.

"That is not your fault, Sig." She replied, holding you close to her. You breathed in her scent, something that made you instantly relax. Reminded you that you were safe in her arms. "You're perfect."

"Can you tell me my story again?" Her eyes held worry and admiration as you asked your question, both things that clashed behind her eyes. It wasn't you asking, per say, but you in one of your earliest memories.

"Of course." She looked away for a moment, perhaps to remember the tale. Or perhaps to clear her mind from the present, to build up enough emotional strength to tell you yet again. "Once upon a time a very magical baby was born."

"And that was me?" You interrupted yet again.

"Yes. That was you." She paused to bop you on the nose. You giggled in reply, and she resumed as you quieted down. "But because she was so magical, there were some who wanted to keep her to themselves."

"And the witch?" You looked up at her hopefully, your memory speaking for you.

"Yes, there was a witch. A very evil witch who wanted the baby really, really bad." A certain look crossed her eyes, and you could tell this was the hard part of the story. "But when the witch could not have her, she put a spell on the little baby."

"What kind of spell?" Your mind seemed to pull that this was the first time your... mother was telling the full story, and you were soaking up every moment of it.

"An unlucky spell, because she did not want the baby to live a normal life, unless the baby was with the witch." Your face fell a tad at this information, but your mom pushed through. "But the baby's parents wouldn't give up. They found a sorceress to help their child, and give them a way to break the curse."

"How Mama? How do I break it?" You cried, both confused and anxious at this new discovery.

"With time, my love. The answer will come in time." She replied, as the memory faded.

*

"You cannot keep her hidden here forever!" A voice shouted, and your spine prickled at the sound of it. Whoever this was shouted as if he had some form of authority, although to you he was just another man. You peeked out from your hiding spot, trying to get a better look at who had burst into your home.

"What do you expect us to do! We can not just leave, the entire palace is searching for us!"

"I expected you to see reason! Although I fear it is too far for that simple feat."

"Watch who you speak of-"

"Iwaldi." Your mother said, staring at your father. "Perhaps it is best if we listen."

"What are you suggesting?" 

"Asgard may not be safe for her anymore. I know a family who may help us on Midgard. They have aided myself before, and I believe they would assist again."

"What would we do? I will not abandon my daughter." He insisted yet again, although less so this time. 

"Nor I. But refuge on Midgard might be the best way for us as of this time. And if we must leave the realm to do so, so be it."