|2| The Dark Deception

"There will be killing till the score is paid

"There will be killing till the score is paid."

Odyssey by Homer

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

The lights from the passing vehicles flash streaks onto the glass buildings around me. A kaleidoscope of colors splayed across my resting face and I close my eyes, seeing the shadows cross me. Color turning into that empty darkness that waits to swallow everything. I find comfort in it, knowing that I can disappear and life moves on without me.

There is a delight in the small things, the sound of the wind brushing window panes, and the chattering of dwellers. People seeking adventure away from their morbidly ordinary lives. I escape in other ways, guilty of indulgences that would make most turn sour.

The brick wall behind me takes my weight when I lean back and I breathe in the smell of smoke. I like the nighttime, it is when I can see the city in its truest form. A cage for the lost and needy, everyone wanting an escape with no idea how to get out. I wish sometimes that this was a worry of mine, it reeks of naivety.

The city is loud tonight, its citizens out on the town with each of them wanting different things. Sex. Drugs. Comfort. All so lost and stuck in the perpetual nothingness of existing in a world you never asked to be born into.

How fucking bleak.

The door beside me opens, pushing a gush of cold air towards my body. I shiver, the black tight number I'm wearing does little to shield me from the cold and I pull it down, shifting my coat a bit to hide my exposed flesh.

I try to move away from the cold and stumble in my heels, giggling to myself. My dress rides up again. I'm too lazy to fix it and lean back against the cool brick once more. A dress too small and thoughts too loud, mixed with the taste of liquor on my tongue is not the wisest. With a huff, I push my long curly hair away from my face and wonder if I could fall asleep out here.

Under the night sky, prey to the gods and monsters that walk the in-between.

There is a shuffle of movement, "Are you alright, gorgeous?" I finally crack my eyes open to see a man standing in front of me. He is a tall Hispanic man with dark hair and matching eyes, he looks like the type of gentleman you would see in a business magazine. Hot but professional. I smile and he returns the gesture, looking back at the three men behind him.

"I feel good," My speech slurs a bit and it makes me chuckle, I sound so stupid. His dark eyes trail down my figure, not bothering to be subtle with his lustful glance. Each one of my curves is on show for the man, the perfect dress for tonight. I close my eyes again and another car drives by, sending lights across the pavement. The city never sleeps.