sniffles and sketchbooks

November 19th, 1976

-Sirius-

James had skipped the previous day's lessons to take care of Adelaide so it was now Sirius's turn. She had gotten tired of the dorm's appearance about an hour ago so the two were now in the deserted common room. The girl in question was currently laying on the couch with a quilt Remus had knit her for Christmas in their fourth year. Sirius had taken residence in the chair across from her, admiring the artwork that filled her sketchbook. 

The Black had been trying to convince Adelaide for the past three years to let him see her sketches but she'd always been adamant about keeping him far away from them. So when he cheekily asked to see her prized possession, assuming she'd say no like always, he was taken by surprise and felt his heart flutter when she handed it over without a second thought. 

This was Sirius's first tell that their relationship had changed, besides the physical aspect of it, Adelaide had been more open with him. Until now it had just been little things here or there but willingly putting her leather-bound sketchbook in his hands was something he truly never thought would happen. The only person that had been able to get a peek into the book was Peter during their fifth year when she displayed a drawing she did that resembled one he had shown her. 

Other than that, no one had seen a single sketch of hers but there he sat, getting to admire every drawing she'd done over her time at Hogwarts. He felt as if he was on cloud nine, thoroughly enjoying her small display of endearment. For a girl that never shied away from telling her friends how much she appreciated them, romantic affection was never something that came easy to her. 

Sirius knew she had the same affliction as him, sleeping around to prevent any sentimental attachments. It had taken them both long enough to submit themselves to their friend's love for them and openly return it. Their families, though now left behind, damaged their views on relationships, the two had bonded over their mutual belief that they were unloveable. 

While Sirius had begun to embrace the affection his friends' threw his way, Adelaide had always been warier. Quick to tell the boys how much she cares for them but consistently doubting that it was mutual. Her vulnerability was not something she chose to expose often so the fact that she had done so, without a second thought, made him think.

Whatever this is between us, it's something more and I think she's starting to realize that as well.

Sirius's thoughts were stopped when his eyes met with something that caused his breath to hitch. A sketch that she had paired with a painted layer of what he had come to know as watercolor paint. The artwork was of a pair of grey eyes. The abundance of time she had spent on the piece was obvious as he took in all the details from the small creases alluding to a smile, to the intricate eyelash placement. He could almost feel the admiration radiating off the page from the way she had so obviously memorized this particular pair of eyes. A pair of eyes that belonged to a face that she had committed to memory. His eyes. He knew they were his because it was what he saw every time he looked in the mirror. The boy was in absolute awe.

She painted my eyes from memory.

He looked up from the book and felt his heart tug a little from how adorable Adelaide looked, her little red nose, glassy eyes, and messy hair splayed around her like a halo. 

Definitely adorable.

Sirius was shocked to see her awake and quickly realized she had probably been watching him go through her artwork. He smiled at her and beckoned her over with a slight jerk of his head, holding the book in one hand and the other out next to him, inviting Adelaide to come and cuddle into his chest.

"Come here mon cœur."

The witch smiled at him and climbed off the couch, walking toward him slowly. She tugs the blanket around her shoulders and squeezes herself in the tiny space between Sirius's body and the chair. Adelaide laid her head against his chest and his arms immediately wrap around her smaller frame. So there they sat, Sirius, continuing to go through her sketchbook while she watched him. Every once in a while the boy would steal glances at the blonde, unable to get over just how precious and content she seemed at that moment, despite her sickness.  

"Your cute when you're sick, you know that?"

This time the heat that rose to Adelaide's cheeks wasn't from her apparent fever. The girl bit back a smile, turning her face into the side of his neck.

"No, no," Sirius grinned, nuzzling his nose into the witch's cheek. "Don't hide from me," he mouthed at Adelaide's jaw, "I'm just saying..."

"Shut up." Adelaide barely lifted her head back, just enough so she could look at him. She sniffled a bit as she gazed at him.

Sirius thought his heart would melt right out of his chest at the way the girl's glassy eyes looked at him. A look that seemed to be solely reserved for him. It was a bit of a breaking point for Sirius, and he put down the sketchbook and reached up, tilting Adelaide's face towards him, and kissed her, long and sweet. When he heard her start to mumble something about how he'd get sick against her lips, he just kissed her harder

Adelaide resigned with a soft sigh and mumbled a little "okay" against his lips.

After a bit, Adelaide's head was back against his chest, just a little above his heart, and smiling slightly as Sirius ran his fingers through her hair. The blanket she had previously held tight against her body was now loose, allowing Sirius to see her outfit choice. She had chosen an oversized charcoal grey jumper that she had undoubtedly stolen from him, tan shorts that the suspected Moony made her during his knitting phase, and some fuzzy socks monogrammed with a red JFP. He smiled at the sight and felt his heart flutter once again. 

"You're adorable."

"I could beat the shit out of you," Adelaide mumbled against his chest. 

Sirius chuckled, "I know, mon cœur, I know." 

first of all 30k!!!! i am beyond words thank you so much!!!

second, i have begun both a remus lupin and a regulus black fic!

the character chapter and playlists are published and i am

hoping to have both prologues and first chapters up by the end

of this week!!! i am really excited for them and hope you all give my 

soon to be stories as much love as you give this one.

the remus book will be a friends to lovers while my regulus one will

be enemies to lovers story. i am very attached to Adelaide

so don't be surprised if she makes a small appearance in the 

new stories in later chapters. 

i adore you all.

xxx

-sammy