-2.3 the park

chapter twenty-three!

"ALEX," started Miguel. He decided against sitting down next to her, considering that if all goes to plan then they'd be leaving the restaurant very soon. Alex looks up, her eyebrows raised as she sets her pencil down. She flashes the boy a grin, pushing her black, curly hair out of her face. She adjusted the thin strap on her white cropped tank-top, her back jeans making the shirt and her bright orange shoes shine.

"What's up?" she asked, making Miguel's stomach drop. His mind was racing, panicking as he wondered how the hell he was supposed to do this.

"Wh— Would you maybe like to take break from that work, and go with me somewhere? Just to hang out, ya'know?" he managed to get out, sighing in somewhat relief when he did. Alex squinted at the boy, wondering why he was acting so weird. She hesitated, but then nodded and closed her binder, putting it back into her backpack. Standing up, she threw the bag over her shoulder and stepped forward.

"Why not? This stuff isn't even due until next week," she admits, allowing the boy to lead her out of the building. Miguel mentally cheers himself on; proud that he even got this far. He was surprised that Alex didn't put up a fight or anything, considering she'd been working on that homework for going on two hours. "So where are we going?"

"Um, you'll see," he tells her, smoothly taking her hand into his as they walk. Alex didn't skip a beat, tightening her fingers around his hand immediately after he did, making the latino boy grin. "But I think you'll like it."

"Ooh, sounds mysterious," she teased as they walked down the street. The sun would be going down soon, so there weren't as many people on the street and the street lamps were beginning to turn on. Her hair bounced as they walked, the sounds of the books shuffling in her bag being the only sound around them.

"Here," he told her, pulling his hand out of hers long enough to take the backpack from her shoulder and throw it over his own. "My god, what's all in this thing?"

"Homework," she deadpans, frowning. "Literally every bit of that is homework."

"That's a shit ton of homework," he told her, retaking her hand. The bag seemed to weigh like fifty pounds, and even Miguel had a hard time carrying it. How the hell does Alex manage to do it all the time? "They give you all of that in a class that you're volunteering to take?"

"Yeah, but I can't really complain," she tells him with a tight-lipped grin. Alex had been wanting to become a criminal profiler since she was eleven. Before that, she wanted to be a dancer and before that a fairy unicorn princess. In her opinion, criminal profiler wasn't that unrealistic compared to the other options. "The college is letting me take these classes for free, and they could for college credit. That's one less class I have to pay to take in two or three years. And the stuff isn't that hard, either It's actually kind of easy. There's just a lot of it."

Miguel could tell she was trying to downplay how hard she'd been working, but said nothing of it. He knew from experience that there was no way to tell Alex Ramirez that she was working to hard. "Easy? Really? Profile me, then, genius."

"What? Profile you?" she laughed shoving him lightly in the arm. She knew that he'd been watching Criminal Minds, but figured that he had no clue what a criminal profiler was otherwise. "No, no way."

"Why? Because you can't do it, right?" he teased, shoving her right back. She laughed at this, the dimples in her cheeks showing deeply as she smiled. He loved her dimples. And her smile, and especially her laugh.

"I mean, I could if I wanted to—"

"Then do it!" he told her as he stopped walking. His face fell teasingly, grabbing both of her hands and pulling her back to him. She rolled her eyes up at him, playing with their intertwined hands. "Profile me, Ramirez."