60.

Raphael, Felicia and the demon boy stared at the enormous castle that loomed over them. This part was dirty for it was near the sewers. However, they had to bear the stench and the flies patiently- one of the secret chambers opened there. Amara was going to meet them there with the Dithrai Prince.

'What's your name, boy?' Raphael asked as he kindled the fire. 

'I know you,' The boy said instead. 

Felicia sat up, alarmed and Raphael froze. 

'You're the one who betrayed the Demon march to Tracovia.' 

Raphael's smile was strained, 'You must be mistaken.' 

'They have posters of you around.'

Felicia was troubled. Had it been a trap to expose them? Was the boy a part of the demon espionage?

Raphael was handling the situation skillfully. 'They must have a horrible artist.' 

The boy exhaled and shut his eyes, 'I don't have a name. You can give me one if you like.' 

They were confused. 

When he was received by silence, the boy opened his red eyes and explained, 'I-I don't care who you are. You treat me better than those who were loyal to the Crown so I won't rat you out, I promise.' 

The boy turned to Felicia who still had her hood on, 'Do they have posters of you around too?' 

She chose not to reply. 

'I don't mind even if they did,' he said. 'But can you teach me how to fight like that?' 

She kept quiet. 

He pursed his lips and sighed. His shoulder slumped and he appeared to be dejected. 

'She can't speak,' Raphael said. 'Don't bother her like that.' He dusted his hands and got to his feet. 'How old are you?'

'I don't know,' the boy replied. 'I live on the streets.' 

Raphael was not sure if he was telling them the truth. The boy spoke with such fluency that it was hard to believe his claim. 'You speak well for someone who lives on the streets.' He observed the boy. He was taken aback by what he saw. 

The boy smiled sadly. 'My father was a soldier. He fought the war and died. My mother who had a noble birth was left to raise me alone.'

'Where is she now?' 

'Dead. It's been years now.' 

'So you do know your name and age,' Felicia was unable to resist the temptation to speak. 

Raphael wanted to chide her for being careless. 

Did she not hear him when he said that she couldn't speak! 

A child or not, they had to be cautious!

The boy was not surprised. He looked down at his hands, 'I do know my name but of my age, I don't know much. I lost track of time. I was born three years before the war ended and my mother died when I was six.'

'That would make you eleven,' she said. With motherly concern, she took the little boy's hand in hers, 'I understand why you don't want to use your name. You would like to leave all of that behind, wouldn't you?'

He nodded. 

Raphael honestly wanted to pull his hair out. Felicia was getting too close to the boy. 

'I want to help you.'

'How can you do that?' The boy asked. 

They would be exposed! 

'Would you accept me as your mother?' 

What?

Just what?

He was shocked. The former General did not know how to react. A part of him was elated and the other part of him was alarmed. How could someone belonging to the Dithrai just pick a demon off the streets and make such an offer?

He thought she despised demons!

'I will take care of you as though you were my own. You will have a family. A younger brother and a father. You will have uncles and aunts. You will never have to worry about the roof over your head or the food in your stomach.' 

'A family?' The boy's eyes were filled with tears. 

'Of course.'

'What would that be like?'

Felicia chuckled, 'You'll know, Alistair.' 

The boy wrapped his skinny arms around her neck. Her hood fell off, revealing her Dithrai features. 

Raphael braced himself for a betrayal. 

He was shocked when the boy kissed her cheek, unafraid. 

He even saw tears stream down Felicia's face. 

'You know, I chose that name for your brother,' she smiled as she cupped Alistair's cheeks, 'but now you have to name him.' 

'I would love to!' The demon boy exclaimed. 

The sight moved Raphael's heart but he forced himself to remain vigilant. If that boy were to betray them, then their heads would be the prize. 

He was not ready for that just yet. 

Everything about this was just extremely suspicious.