[78]

Attending the banquet felt uncomfortable, foreign

Well at least that's how Soomin felt, considering that she hadn't seen so many of these faces in ages.

She was sitting at the edge of the fancy ball room, sipping on the expensive champagne that the butlers went around offering. It was sweet to the tongue, but bitter once drained down the throat, tasting like fresh-picked cherries. But even the aggressive taste of alcohol wouldn't ease her mind.

Soomin blinked away her thoughts and straightened up upon realizing that there was someone coming towards her. Unlike her, her father seemed ecstatic as he walked up to his daughter, humming under his breath.

Peaking after him, Soomin tried to stop herself from cringing too obviously.

"There you are, dear." Mr.Park announced in a soft, yet clearly excited tone.

The girl pulsed her lips together, attempting at a small smile, and simply nodded her head. Her eyes trailed off to her father's sides, seeing the fancily dressed Mr. and Mrs. Shin and then their son, Sunwoo.

Yet Soomin didn't have the time to reminisce on what had happened between them a couple of days earlier, as her father continued his speech.

"I'm proud to announce that I've decided on a new wedding date."

It was as if Soomin's blood drained out of her body, her face going pale in an instant. Her thoughts, feelings, actions, everything was put on pause as she processed what her father had just said. She tried to stop herself from trembling, but it was obvious to the naked eye that she felt sick.

On the other hand, Mr. and Mrs. Shin beamed immediately.

"Oh really?" The woman exclaimed in surprise, showcasing her expensive collection of rings as she held up her palm to her mouth. "That's such amazing news, Mr.Park! We're honored."

"When's the new date?" Mr. Shin asked with a wide smile on his lips.

"May 24th. I heard it's a lucky day for couples." Mr. Park replied, clearly equally as happy.

As the elderly conversated, Sunwoo turned to look at his fiancée. He could tell her distress, especially the way that her brown eyes raised to his, the resentment clear. That clearly amused him, a creepy smirk coming up to his lips.

♫ 

The giant mansion door loudly came to a close, indicating the arrival of the 2-person family.

Just upon stepping foot on the marble flooring, Soomin leaned down and unbuckled her heels, throwing them off to the side. Her father overlooked her actions carefully, the happy grin now nowhere in sight having been replaced by a stern look.

The girl was about to walk off towards her room, when she heard his voice behind her.

"You should've at least tried to look happy." His whisper was cold, unforgiving.

Soomin turned around, pure exhaustion written on her face. "Why? Would that have made you happier?"

"Yes. Yes it would have."
"Well, I'm not happy. And I'm not going to pretend like I am."

"Soomin." Mr.Park let out a harsh sigh. "When are you going to stop being childish? You should've come to terms with it by now."

"Come to terms with what? An arranged marriage?" The girl spat out. "Well I'm sorry for wanting to keep my free will."

"This was the plan all along. You've been waiting to get married since you were young."

"No, that's not true." Soomin scoffed with a sarcastic smile on her lips. "Mom never wanted me to be married off. And she wouldn't have let you do this."

"We need someone who'll be able to run the family business." Mr.Park gritted his teeth, clearly getting frustrated.

"Maybe if you would've sent me to college, like in the original plan, then I would've been able to inherit it."
"That wouldn't have been possible."

"Why?" Soomin stepped forward. "Because I'm a woman?" 

"That's how it is. How it's always been, how it will be in the future. Sunwoo is an amazing businessman, and will surely be able to grow the family corporation. That's what's most important right now." Mr.Park spoke blatantly.

"That's the most important-" The girl couldn't even finish her sentence because of the disbelief and disgust that she felt at that moment. "So business is more important than my life being basically sold away?!" 

Her father remained stone-faced and quiet.

Soomin exhaled a shaky breath, feeling the emotions starting to hit her.

Tears dwelling in her eyes, she looked down to try to hide the fact that she was on the verge of tears. "Would you have done the same to Aera?"

Mr.Park remained quiet. His mouth fell open in shock, eyes widening and inch.

"What did you just say?"
"I asked if you would've married Aera off just like how you're doing with me." Soomin asked, more aggressively as her harsh eyes settled on this.

Her father was completely taken aback. "What? Did you kno-"

"Yes. Yes, I do know." The girl's jaw clenched. "And I'm disappointed that you and mom never told me." 

"But... How? When?" He stepped forward in a panic. "Did you meet her? Aera?"

Soomin pulsed her lips together, her heart feeling heavy as she replied. "I didn't get the chance to. She's dead."

Mr.Park looked like a bullet had just hit him on the chest. His mouth was wide agape, face twisting not just into shock but also into regret and terror.

"What?" He breathed out, his voice shaky.

"I guess I should be careful. You seem to lose everyone around you." Soomin's face was stern, merciless, but inside she was actually about to burst.

And with that, the girl turned on her heel and proceeded to walk away.

honestly i don't remember whether she even acc told him about Yuna/Aera but here it is ig

but sis really popped off