Chapter Seventy Seven

"Where the hell have you two been?" Sam asked as Catherine and Bucky returned into the area where the party was being held

They both looked at each, trying to come up with a lie. "Catherine, wasn't feeling well. So, she went to lay down."

"Did you find Nagel?" Catherine asked Sharon.

"I did. We need to take a little field trip though." She answered.

Their 'field trip' was to a harbor that was used to ship items on boats. There had to be at least 200 containers. "We're looking for container 4261." Sharon told them.

It took them a few minutes, but they found it. They opened the container with their weapons drawn, but it was empty. Zemo walked to the end of it, his hand tracing along the wall. He pushed on it and it opened to reveal stairs. The sound of a song playing could be heard, so someone had to be home. They preceded up the stairs cautiously, not knowing who would be inside.

It was some sort of makeshift lab. She could make out vials filled with liquid that she hoped wasn't the serum. They all kept their guns raised as they searched the room for Dr. Nagel. They finally saw him with his back turned and he was bent over doing something. Zemo grabbed the needle of the record turning it off causing the guy to spin around.

"Dr. Nagel?" Same asked.

"Who are you? What do you want?" He asked. The guy was jumpy, which she assumed came with the occupation he had.

"We know you created the super Solider serum." Sam answered.

Dr. Nagel brushed past Sam, but stopped when he saw Bucky. Fear spread across his face.

"You know who he is right?" Sam asked. "This is Baron Zemo. I know you've heard of him, too. You seem like a pretty smart guy. So you better become conversational real quick."

"How about a counter proposal?" Nagel asked as Sam shoved him against a wall. "Make me a better offer and I'll talk."

Catherine scoffed. "You're making an illegal substance and you want us of all people to negotiate with you?"

"Guys. We have company." They heard Sharon say through their com.

Bucky grabbed Nagel and threw him on a chair and pointed a gun at his head. He was quiet until Bucky fired a warning shot.

"Okay, okay." Nagel said. "I was brought into HYDRA's Winter Soldier program to pick up their work after the five failed test subjects in Siberia. When HYDRA fell, I was recruited by the CIA. They had blood samples from an American test subject with semi-stable traces of serum in his system. After much labor, I was able to isolate the necessary compounds in his blood. I was a god. I did what no other scientist since Erskine was able to do. But mine was going to be different. No clunky machines or jacked up bodies. Mine was going to be subtle, optimized, perfect."

Catherine's eyes widened as he spoke. Was this the guy they wanted to make a serum for her? Then there was a test subject. Was it Isaiah? He was the only other known super Solider left minus Bucky.

Nagel looked at her, making her very uncomfortable. "You were to be the next person Hydra used the serum on. You had the right training and brains. They just needed the strength."

"How have we never heard about this?" Sam asked.

"Because... Before I was able to complete my work, I turned to dust. Then when I returned, it was five years later, program had been abandoned, so I came here. The Power Broker was more than happy to fund the recreation of my work." Nagel explained.

Thank God this guy got blipped.

"How many vials are there?" Catherine asked.

"Twenty."