Chapter • Three

Cheers to the endless possibilities with storytelling!

Chapter Three

More hours had gone by and I couldn't handle the pestering sound of students complaining and crying. Almost regrettably, I turn on my phone and see 7:43am posted on the screen. The sun had risen by now, yet we were still trapped here.

Many people's phones had died but those who still had battery were keeping close contact with their families. They were all trapped in their houses, apparently, a city lock-down was in order as the attackers were surrounding inside and outside of the school.

What happened to those trucks full of armed soldiers dressed in all black coming to rescue the innocent, or was that only in the movies? Surely, someone would come to our rescue. We were trapped inside the gym with no resources, but the cops should have everything they need to come for us.

Unlocking my phone, I see my sister had replied to my message.

I love you too, Bella.

I had messaged Ana as soon as I could, telling her I was okay and trapped, waiting. She told me how she was also mandated to stay at home, but that everything would be okay.

My stomach rumbled, making Sarah's eyes wander towards mine.

"Same here," she moans sadly, signaling her own hunger.

I tried to distract myself with my phone, deciding to scan through Instagram.

Big mistake.

Almost ironically, as soon as the app loaded, I was faced looking at a handsome tan-skinned boy with light brown curls and green eyes.

Malachai Strong.

It was a handsome selfie, with a smile that showed his perfect white teeth and deep dimples.

A murderer's selfie.

After seeing Philip die on the projector, I tried everything to forget the picture. It had worked, I focused on my hunger and the chattering around the room, but looking into the eyes of Kai, I am reminded of reality.

I felt guilty for not telling anyone my discovery, but would it have mattered? All I had was a name, and that is if it is his real name.

Was it all fake? Was I just his next victim? Part of me hoped it wasn't, part of me was in denial.

Maybe he has an evil twin.

My finger hovers over Kai's contact name, threatening to send him a text. What if it wasn't him on the screen and I was being delusional from the hunger?

I knew my thoughts now were irrational, I wasn't even that hungry, it has been a bit less than 24 hours that we have been trapped in the gym.

'Hi'

Of all the stupid things I could have sent, and I sent Hi. What is wrong with me?

I nearly gasped out loud seeing the 3 dots pop up, foreshadowing a message coming soon.

That was fast.

'Hello, my love.'

I was almost certain I had imagined stuff; Kai was not the murderer. Before I could even text him back, the intercom sounded, gathering everyone's attention.

"Hello, students and faculty let's make a deal. I will let everyone go free if, and only if, Alex York along with two random students follow out towards the cafeteria. Once out, lock the gym doors and wait for more instructions. If you oblige, you will all be safe to leave, unharmed."