.24. ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴋɴᴏᴡʟᴇᴅɢᴇ ɪs sʜᴀʀᴇᴅ

"What do you call that again?" asked Jimin who promptly pulled his notebook and pen out.

"A vibration catcher, if my memory serves me right. I had heard of the existence of a prototype, but I had never seen one before. I recognize here the Giannino's hand."

The old man speaking was known to all as Master Drosselmeyer, the Queen's first supplier when she had to shop for gifts for her numerous grandchildren. He was presently eyeing the object sitting on his desk with unabashed fascination.

"Just to be clear, you're talking about the infamous mentalist couple the Gianninos, who were also renowned scientists and engineers, is that correct?"

"Precisely. But as far as I know, they are not dead. They have simply — vanished."

"Could you explain to us how this device works?" the reporter asked again, sensing the revelation he was about to jolt down just had to be huge.

"How does a vibration catcher work, you ask?" repeated the elder before bursting into uncontrollable laughter, soon replaced by a genuinely worrying coughing fit. Jungkook had to run out of the office to look for a store assistant to bring them some much needed water. When Drosselmeyer was able to speak once more, he glared at Jimin.

"You should first conduct some research before asking silly questions like that. Don't you know magicians never reveal their tricks?"

"I'm sorry. I thought this was more mechanical than magical," said Jimin apologetically.

"Well, in theory, it is. But the inner workings of this intricate mechanism have never been disclosed to the public, or to anyone for that matter. Which is why I find it quite surprising that someone was able to replicate it so splendidly."

"So you confirm this is not an original, but a copy," asked Jungkook who was listening intently.

"Absolutely. But you'd have to be a professional—like myself—to notice the slight changes that were made to the design. It's as if the forger was both paying homage to the Gianninos' expertise while at the same time including their own subtle touch to this piece of art."

"You're calling this art, but it's actually a piece of evidence in an ongoing investigation," reminded the detective.

"It does not surprise me."

The look on both Jungkook and Jimin's faces must have been quite the sight for the clockmaker chuckled loudly. "It's a long story," he added.

"We have time," said Jimin.

"Please tell us what you know about the Gianninos," asked Jungkook, who was familiar with the name because that's exactly where Jimin's research had led.

"They were simply the best at what they did: hypnosis, mind-reading, and even mind-controlling, which I was able to witness once, during their final world tour. Their London show was packed. The press had gathered en masse, hoping to find a way to crack the Giannino Code as they used to call it. Their act was so flawless it actually scared people, how they managed to compel the volunteers to share their deepest secret in front of a whole audience. No doubt the couple was drowning under lawsuits and threats because of the sheer number of divorces they indirectly induced."

Jimin's pen ran frantically on the pages as the story further unfolded.

"In my opinion, that is one of the reasons why they had to disappear. Rumours were spreading regarding the possibility of weaponizing their savoir-faire. Can you imagine being able to control minds? This was a power many were after. And if this piece of jewellery was indeed involved in committing an offence, then it means they have succeeded."

The old man reached for the glass of water sitting on his desk to quench his now dry throat.

"Can you perhaps recall who was after the Giannino's secrets?"

"Oh, the list would be too long, detective. You see, back then, the travelling couple would rarely stay in hotels because of the number of invitations they would constantly received from wealthy individuals willing to accommodate them when they were on tour. Any one of them could have desired to get their hands on some of their precious tricks."

"And whom did they stay with while in London?"

Jungkook knew the answer to that question, but he had to ask it anyway. If a piece of information was confirmed by two different sources, it was reasonable to consider it reliable.

"I believe they stayed with the now deceased great patron of the arts, Lord Arenes."

Lord Arenes. The very name that had forced him to distance himself from Taehyung for fear of conflicting interests.

"Jungkook? Are you okay?" asked a concerned Jimin.

"I-I'm fine. I thank you for your time, Master Drosselmeyer," uttered the detective whose face had turned white.

"The pleasure was mine. I find myself lucky to have been able to examine such a crafty gadget."

"Yes, well. We must now be going. It's getting late," noted the reporter, gently pulling on the other's arm in order to guide him out of the store. "I think detective Jeon here needs to get some fresh air."

I don't need any fresh air! I need Taehyung, but I can't have him, can I?

Once they stepped out on the street, Jungkook turned toward his right-hand man. "Jimin! Let's go see that nice bartender—Greyson, was it?—and celebrate your findings! Because you were in fact very correct about everything!" he said, trying to sound cheery but failing miserably.

"And I thought I had it bad with Stella," muttered Jimin, feeling sorry for the other as he attempted to cover up his bruised heart.

He suddenly remembered something. "Speaking of Stella, I have this pendant that I need to return—since I no longer have anyone to give it to. The boutique is located just a few blocks down the street. Would you mind going with me? We'll get drinks afterwards."

Wattpad fanfic writers write for free, but one way you can show your appreciation for their hard work is to vote!

Thank you for reading ~♡