Baby Steps

Nurses had come in to check on Davey a few times that day, give him medicines and food and what not. Jack had stayed there, Davey's head against his chest, his arm draped carefully around his shoulders, all day.

When Sarah and Mars had come in later that day Davey was asleep again and Jack was watching some show on the Discovery channel. He didn't know what it was, Davey seemed interested so Jack kept it on. Davey had also taken to hugging his arm, the other around his waist so he couldn't exactly grab the remote on the other side of him.

Sarah let out a sigh of relief, sitting in the chair. Her brown curls pulled up into a messy bun held together by a pencil. "How is he?" she whispered.

Jack nodded, "He's doing good."

Mars leaned on the chair behind Sarah, "Jack you look like hell." They deadpanned.

Jack smirked, closing his eyes and leaning back against the bed, "Just got back."

"Now is not the time for a Heathers reference." Sarah rolled her eyes.

"It's always time for a Heathers reference." Davey mumbled into Jack's chest.

Jack laughed softly, "See he gets me!"

Davey huffed, burying his head further into Jack's chest, "I have a headache now hush."

Sarah was quick to close the blinds and Mars shut off the lights. Davey instantly relaxed, his breathing evening out as he fell asleep again. "How long has he been responsive?" Sarah asked, sitting back in the chair.

"Since this morning, before 9 after 3." Jack whispered, staying quiet for Davey.

Sarah nodded, leaning back in the chair. "Has he been like his normal self or all loopy?"

"The first thing he said to me was about coffee."

Sarah let out yet another sound of relief "Oh thank God."

Jack laughed softly, looking down at Davey. Another moment he would save in his mind to draw. Davey was just perfect, there was nothing else to it. He had no flaws in Jack's eyes. He couldn't help the huge smile that formed on his face, and neither Sarah nor Mars could help their hysterical laughter. "Oh my God! You're so in love with him it's disgusting!"

Davey rubbed Jack's hip, "It's adorable."

Jack kissed his forehead, "Do you ever actually sleep?" Davey just shook his head.

Sarah gagged. "Please, Sarah, you act like you and Mars haven't kissed yet." The comment from Davey had shut them both up quick. Jack bit the inside of his cheek to stifle a laugh.

"He just got up and he's already bullying me." Sarah huffed, crossing her arms.

"Aww poor thing." Davey's words were slow and slurred, it was clear he was still exhausted. There was a long, comfortable silence before Davey sat up, yawning, "Hey Jackie?"

"Yea babe?" Jack looked up at him, receiving a quiet 'awwww' came from Sarah that he just brushed off, too focused on Davey not hurting himself.

"When do I get out of here?" He slouched back down in bed, "And I need another coffee."