Chapter 24 - Intentional Parting

As the late morning light filters in through the curtains of the bedroom, your heart laps from your chest as the first thing you notice is that you have yet to hear Anthony's cries from the room next door. The same room Thor had told you he laid Anthony to rest in via a note slipped under your door late last night.

Panicked, you begin to wiggle from Loki's grasp, but he simply tightens his grip, and pulls you in to him.

"Relax, darling. He's with my mother," Loki grumbles, his voice thick with sleep. 

"You have to quit doing that," you grumble back, breathing out and allowing yourself to calm down and snuggle back in to Loki's side. "We have a deal, remember? No mind reading without asking."

"And I honor that deal 99% of the time, elskling," he says, rubbing the tip of his nose against your own. "But when the love of my life wakes in a panic and tries to leap from my bed, I feel exceptions can be taken."

"So, your mother is still here?" you ask.

"Mhmm," Loki hums, drifting his fingertips across your chest lightly. 

"I thought she left after your private conversation yesterday," you say, clearly asking for more information.

"No, my love. She'll be here with us for a while. It's part of her plan, which is what we were discussing," says Loki.

"And was there a reason I wasn't invited to be a part of it?" you ask.

"Yes," Loki answers simply, not giving you any additional insight.

"And that reason was...?"

"She wanted to know more about your seidr. I think it's quite obvious she doesn't believe my tale in how you obtained it. She challenged me on it, and I refuted her."

"So she still doesn't know that I-"

"No," answers Loki quickly. "And I think it best we keep that piece of information to ourselves for now."

"Do you really think that's the best idea, Lo?" you ask, propping yourself up and draping an arm over Loki's bare chest. "It's bound to come out. Especially when we find Amora. She'll be the first one to rat me out."

"I agree," says Loki. "And if there's one thing I've learned in this life, my love, it is that against every effort the truth will always out. However I do think it would be wise for us to obtain some sort of written pardon from my father for past and present action before that happens, if possible."

You lay back down and think about Loki's approach for a while before another thought occurs to you.

"Lo, if Amora was bound, and she didn't have the Tablet until I gave it to her, then how could she have started influencing Odin as early as my first visit to Asgard?"