two - mercury

Levi locks eyes with you, and you see his eyebrows rise in surprise.

Then, "no fucking way."

"I'm out," you say, looking back to Hange. "Thanks anyways."

"Ah! You two know each other?" Hange says, seizing the sleeve of Levi's shirt as he tries to turn away. "That makes this easier! Wait- oh, wait, no way. Levi, is this the girl you were complaining about earlier?"

Your face heats up. "He's been complaining about me?"

"And Levi's the one you were ranting about the other day!" they continue, oblivious to your discomfort and Levi's obvious disgust. "See, you two are basically obsessed with each other already. Perfect!"

"You said her name was Venus," Levi says, his voice angry and accusing. "Her name's not fucking Venus, it's-"

"I know, that's just what I call her!"

"Long story," you grumble, taking a long sip of your drink.

"I don't care," Levi snaps. He whirls on Hange, shaking his arm out of their grip. "Listen, Four Eyes," he hisses, shooting you a withering glare before turning on your soon-to-be-former friend. "I'm going to have a bad enough time working on that project for two fucking semesters-"

"Believe me, I've had enough of you to last me a lifetime," you grumble, and his gaze flashes back to you.

You both glare at each other, neither of you willing to back down, and Hange smacks Levi on the back so hard that he nearly stumbles. "This is amazing! I can see the chemistry already," Hange says excitedly. "I'm an amazing matchmaker." 

"I'm going to kill you," you and Levi say at the same time.

There's a pause as you both realize you spoke in unison, and you go back to shooting a dark glare at Levi. He matches your glare with one of his own. "See?" Hange quips. "Magnificent. I knew this would work."

You pinch your lips together and stand up. "Thanks," you say, making sure you keep your gaze locked on Hange. "I'm headed home."

"Wait!" they cry out, grabbing your arm. "Come on, you came out all this way!"

Levi snorts. "What, she lives halfway across the city?"

You're about to fire something off when someone else steps up next to you. You glance at him, and your eyes have to travel upwards: he's tall, well over six foot, and he's got combed blond hair and stern eyes. For a second, you think he's a professor, but there's still some youth to his features. 

The others seem to recognize him; this is probably the other person that came with Hange. "Levi, Hange," he greets. He looks to you. "You must be Venus?"

"Oh, that's not her name," Levi sneers, and you shoot a glare at him. "That's some damn nickname that Hange has for her so they could trick me into coming out."

"It wasn't a trick," Hange protests.

"More of a bribe," the blond man says honestly. "And partially a threat."

You raise your eyebrows, looking to Hange. "You had to threaten him, and you had to plead with me to get me out here," you say, "and you still thought this was a good idea?"

"I still do!" they insist. "Look at these sparks flying!"

"Down, Hange," the blond man chides.

You glance up at him, then back to Hange. "Can he be my blind date instead?" you ask, pointing a finger at him. "He seems one hundred times nicer."

"Yeah, because you're a treat," Levi sneers.

You meet his glare with one of yours. "My bad," you snap icily, "should've realized that you don't know the definition of nice."