two; ice rink

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

amaya's point of view

"it's okay, really. bye," i say.

what the hell just happened?

confused, i walk the rest of the way to the ice rink, skates in hand.

"welcome back, sugi, it's been quite a few weeks!" the rink attendant, genki, grins. "how was your competition?"

"i know," i sadly smile. "i've been a little stressed with school," i lie. "and it was fine," i simply say, walking toward the benches to put my skates on.

the real reason i haven't been to the rink is because i completely bombed my last figure skating competition. but i won't tell him that.

"oh look, it's the little country girl. bet she's still as bad as she was at the national qualifying competition," hideyo, another figure skater mocks to her friend.

"she couldn't even place," she scoffs.

the words rang in my head during my routine as i attempted my hardest move, a triple axel.

"she couldn't even place."

ugh! focus! you can't screw this up again.

i glide forward, preparing for my triple axel.

"she couldn't even place."

suddenly i've fallen onto the ice, failing my move.

gasps could be heard throughout the audience as i look around, slowly standing up and trying to finish my routine.

my eye catches hideyo's. a smug smirk plays on her face.

i hadn't even realized i was already on the rink, practicing my loop jumps.

my skates glide on the ice. i have the whole place to myself. this time of day is typically slow for the rink, which is exactly why i always come after school.

it feels good to finally be back here. figure skating is my passion, i've been practicing since i was 4 years old.

i've spent a lot of time analyzing my screw up at my last competition. it was just a small one, sure, nothing major, so why did my failure make me fear coming back here for so many weeks?

maybe it was my pent up fear and embarrassment from not becoming a national qualifier last year. or that hideyo's rude comments finally got to my head.

i sigh, making my way to the edge of the rink for some water. i've been skating the past two and a half hours, and as much as it's been nice to be back here, i just can't help but to feel ashamed of myself.

i'd gone to nationals twice, so what happened to me at last year's national qualifying tournament?

it's a question that's been haunting me for months. but i need to keep practicing despite my failure, so i can prove hideyo wrong and go back to nationals.

i take off my skates and make my way to the bus stop. i really don't feel like walking home, i'm quite exhausted, for the most part mentally.

the bus picks me up and, bored, i decide to check my phone. i see a text from an unsaved number, and i recognize it as the one that i talked to earlier.

(xxx) xxx-xxxx
maybe: kageyama

HEYYY AMAYA
YOU'RE A FIRST YEAR, I'M A FIRST
YEAR, WE SHOULD TOTALLY DATE

...?
is this the same number that
called me earlier?

yes.
i'm so sorry, my stupid teammates
stole my phone and texted you.

the two annoying second years?
nishinoya and tanaka i think were
their names
and it's okay haha

yes, those ones.
they are very annoying.

did they say your name is
kageyama?

yes. tobio kageyama.
you are amaya right?
are you really a first year at
karasuno?

amaya sugihara :)
and yeah i am! class 5

oh, you must be really smart then.

i mean not really, i just have
a lot of pressure from my
parents to do well in school
what were you guys practicing
for?

i am on karasuno's boys volleyball
team.
do you do any clubs?

no, not any official clubs
but i am a figure skater though
so i spend a lot of my time
practicing at the ice rink

i've never met a figure
skater before.
i did not know high schoolers
could do that sport.

yeah! i've been doing it for
pretty much my whole life-
since i was 4 at least

same, for me with volleyball.

hey i have to go, my bus just
got to my stop!
bye!
read 6:03 pm