Chapter 11

Lillian's POV

Stefani's in her room sleeping after a cold shower. I have her koi fish at the appropriate temperature and water for them to temporarily be kept in. I know she'll be hungry when she-

"Can I get your keys? I wanna set up the aquarium," Stefani rubbed her eyes and her voice is somewhat raspy from vomiting earlier.

"Aren't you hungry?" I adjusted my apron.

"Well, yeah- obviously. But I have to put the fish in their homes," she insisted.

I studied her for a moment and she still looked tired.. she wasn't glaring at me but she did have this glimmer in her eye. Her eyes wandered to the two small fish in a clear bowl I found for them to swim in for the time being.

"Here," I reached in my pocket and handed her the keys. I intentionally lingered my hand in hers as I took one more look at her to see if she really is okay as she claimed to be.

It was as if Stefani was forcing herself to not smile. Hell... I don't think I've ever seen her genuinely smile. With all the endless remarks she makes, I might as well consider a smirk and a simple eye roll as a smile.

"You must care for them," I teased and she rolled her eyes.

Yep, I've never seen her smile.

"When you've never had pets in your house, things are different," she heads out.

"Wait- are we not suppose to have pets?!" I called. Kent never- and Stefani didn't-

"Too late!" Stefani rushes out the door.

"Goddamnit," I cursed under my breath and found my house slippers to chase after her- after locking the door like the responsible step mom I'm trying to be.

I managed to catch up to Stefani but she's really fast; she's already carrying everything in the aquarium up the steps. I could've sworn it didn't take me that long to find my slippers- or lock the door.

I don't think I'm this out of shape..

"Not so fast," I got a hold of her- and myself.

"What is it now?" She heaves up the load and leans against the stair case rail for support.

"You didn't tell me that there was a no pet rule," I crossed my arms.

"So?" She genuinely looked like she didn't care about the rule.

I don't understand her and I want too so bad..

We continued to stare at one another until she sighed and continued going up the steps to walk past me, "you give yourself too much credit. I'll get blamed before you ever will in a heartbeat," Stefani made a quick sidebar comment and continued walking.

I was stunned for a brief moment, and remembered I was suppose to be cooking something wholesome because of her poor dieting this week.

I made my way back to the pent house to find the bowl of fish I had set aside on the counter missing but I do hear the sink water running.

I found myself smiling softly at the thought of Stefani.. but at the same time, I'm concerned. I feel like I've made really good progress on developing a- somewhat relationship with her. I just have to keep it up.

I don't hear the water running from Stefani's hallway anymore, but she did shuffle out with airpods in her ears and she doesn't have a care in the world as she walks across the living room, into the hallway across from hers. A door opened and closed again as her feet came back shuffling. Her arms were hoisting up a blanket and she continued to go about her business.