Chapter 49

Alec wasn't doing well, and neither was Serena.

Magnus had been able to stabilise Alec enough to diagnose him after arriving at the Institute. Finding Jace had taken a piece of Alec's soul,  and he'd never gotten it back. And now he was lost somewhere between him and his parabatai. They theorised that if Jace came back then the piece of Alec's soul would come back.

Serena was still in pain, but Magnus was able to give her a tonic that numbed any pain caused by magic. The more a couple connected, both physically and emotionally, the stronger their connection through the wedded union rune was, and Magnus was amazed at the strength of Alec and Serena's with how strong he had to make the tonic to numb their connection. Serena was now a constant by Alec's side as Izzy went to go and track down Jace.

Jace had escaped Valentine's ship with Clary, Clary having been recovered at the Institute but Jace nowhere to be found.

Or so they thought.

Jace eventually called Izzy and she and Clary informed him of what was happening to Alec and Serena.

They then told him that he had to get to Alec in order to save him, their rendezvous point being Magnus's house.

But instantly after, Clary left to go help Simon whose mother was missing.

But their first attempt at removing Alec from the Institute didn't work. Aldertree caught them and placed a Shadowhunter he trusted outside their door, barely allowing Magnus to stay.

"What do we do now?" Izzy asked and Serena turned to Magnus who was pale as he was low on magic as he tried to keep Alec from fading away.

"Go home," she said to the warlock who looked at her in confusion.

"If I leave now, Alec will die."

Serena sighed.

"He won't die, because when I put this around his neck and break it, he'll be portalled to you, where you'll be waiting, at your house."

Their eyes widened as Serena held up her Portal Pendant and Magnus kissed her forehead.

"You're brilliant,' he said as he all but ran out of the Institute, wanting people to see him leave rather than portal out.

Serena then handed the necklace over to Izzy.

"Put it on him then break the gemstone. I'm sorry Izzy, but I have to be at his side," Serena said as she moved to leave.

Her parabatai only nodded.

"I'll buy you time with Aldertree. Go."

And Serena ran.