Chapter 50

Things were a mess.

Jace had been framed for the murder of one of the werewolves of Luke's pack, and now they were after him, and not even Luke could stop them. It left Izzy with no choice but to make a deal with Aldertree.

Save Jace give him a chance to save Alec, but hand Jace over to the Clave regardless of Alec's condition.

Something she told Clary, but not Serena, who was back at her husband's side as she tried to kiss him awake, only for him to continue sleeping.

Clary and Luke then set off on a quest to try and stop Maia, a girl in Luke's pack that wanted revenge for the wolf she thought Jace killed.

And just when Jace was about to be ripped to shreds, Izzy swooped in to save the day.

Now they were all on their way to Magnus's loft, where Serena gaped as she saw her brother walk in, tears slipping down her face as she ran towards him.

"JJ, you're ok," she muttered as she wrapped him in a hug.

"Hi, Rena."

Her heart broke as she pulled away and saw all the cuts and scars and bruises on her little brother's face, not to mention the way he held his ribs.

Jace then took the stone from Magnus as he held it in his and Alec's hands and they began to glow gold as Jace knelt at his side, staring at his brother with tears in his eyes.

"Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee," Jace murmured as their hands glowed and Magnus placed his arm around Serena, holding her tight.

"For whither thou goest, I will go. And where thou lodgest ..."

Alec then jerked as the stone fell from their grasp.

"What's happening?" Izzy asked and Serena began to scream in misery and sorrow as the rune on her arm this time began to fade, the tonic useless in this event, as Magnus answered, "He's slipping!"

Izzy held her parabatai tight, filled with guilt over what would happen after this, but pushing it away as Jace spoke again, stone still on the ground and his hand clasped with Alec's.

"Thy people will be my people, thy God will be my God. When thou diest, I will die. And there will I be buried. The Angel do so to me."

Serena heard Alec exhale as his head went limp and the scream that came from her lips was truly heartbreaking as her rune vanished.

Jace was in tears as he held his parabatai, his sister's screams echoing in his ears as he continued his pledge to Alec.

"And more also, if aught but death part thee and me. Please don't leave me, Alec," Jace cried softly, Izzy holding Serena as both girls sobbed hysterically.

But she almost stopped breathing when Alec's weak voice answered, "If aught but death part thee and me."

And Alec's eyes opened as he hugged his parabatai who was crying in relief and Alec broke into tears.

But the moment had to be ruined when Aldertree's voice called, "Jace Wayland!"

He stormed into the room, flanked by multiple guards. "You are hereby sentenced to the City of Bones to await trial for the charge of high treason and aiding Valentine in the war against the Clave."

"No! Aldertree you can't! Not now!" Serena exclaimed, face covered in tears and snot from her crying as she stood.

"Wait, what.... what the hell is going on?" Alec asked from the sofa he laid on.

"It's alright Alec. What matters is that you're back," Jace said before turning to his twin who seemed to cry even more as she squeezed him into the tightest hug she could, never wanting to let go.

"But I just got you back," she whimpered.

He pulled away as he looked at his big sister. "I'll be ok," he promised before the guards took him, Magnus having to hold Serena back.

"No! NO! Don't take him! Please don't take him! Jace! I just got him back! Please!" she cried as they vanished out the door and a thought hit her and she paused, breaking away from Magnus to look at everyone in the room.

"Why didn't any of you stop them? Did you already know? Is that how he found us?!"

Izzy stepped forward, not wanting to lie anymore.

"I made a deal with Aldertree. I save Jace from the wolves so that he could save Alec, but I hand Jace over to him afterwards."

"You did what?!" Serena asked in disbelief. "And you didn't even tell me?"

Her gaze was accusatory as she looked to Clary and Magnus.

"You all knew?!"

Serena then wiped her nose on her sleeve as she tucked her hair behind her ears and sat next to Alec, wiping down his face with a cool cloth as she saw the blackened wedded union rune on her wrist once more.

"I think it's time all of you left."