thirty-five

Luke's hand lifts from the door to cup my face, his palm gentle but rough against my cheek. His lips are the same, slow and unsure before turning more insistent and intoxicating.

As my thoughts blur, my mind cloudy as Luke overtakes every rational part of me, I force myself to pull away from him.

Before things get too beyond my control. My brain knows what's best but my body is a traitor, ready to surrender the second Luke touched my skin.

Think, Dylan. Use your fucking head.

Chest rising and falling rapidly, I wipe my lips and try to regain my breath.

"See?" I mutter as Luke's eyes flutter open, brows furrowed in confusion. "Means absolutely nothing to me."

Luke cocks his head to the side, squinting at me in disbelief. I watch his body, the way it reacted in kind to mine, now working double time for air. That, at least, makes me feel a little better.

And a little flustered.

Finally, he shrugs, running a hand through his hair before taking a step back. I glare at the floorboards between us, both grateful and desperate for him to be closer again.

"If you say so." His jaw clenches as he frowns.

I feel myself deflate a little despite knowing it's for the best. The one time he decides to not be cocky, to finally just listen to me... is probably the time I mean it least.

"Well, I do." I cross my arms over my chest, taking a shaky breath as I meet his stare.

"My mistake." He dips his head. He walks forward and for a second my heart beats faster, only slowing when he reaches for the doorknob by my hip. Looking me in the eye, his own dark and somber, Luke says simply , "I won't let it happen again."

The air between us shifts, becoming icy again. Glancing around Casey's bedroom one last time, my throat tightens.

This is all too much.

I push off the door abruptly, allowing Luke to pull it open for me.

"After you," He murmurs, voice cool, body still as to not graze mine as I pass by.

Flying past him, I take a gulp of fresh air, clearing my nostrils and lungs of Casey's cologne. Rushing down the stairs as quickly as possible, to the safety of where things hurt a little less, I speak over my shoulder harshly.

"I know you must have to get back to the store. Thank you again for your help with the sink."

And I need time to think, time away from Luke, not surrounded by painful memories of Casey, to figure out every confusing emotion buzzing through me.

"Of course." He finally halts in front of the door, waving goodbye to Grams still seated
in the kitchen. "Whatever June needs."

Ouch.

My cheeks heat up at the sting of his words, the set of his jaw telling me I understood exactly what he'd meant me to. Still, it's what I wanted.

Demanded.

I glare at him until he finally replaces his baseball cap and nods at me slowly.

"I'll see you around the center then, Miss Dylan."

"Yeah," I wrap my arms around my torso to keep everything together. "See you around."

When he leaves, I cross the living room to lock the door. Heart thudding in my chest, I rest my forehead against the cool surface and close my eyes tightly.

I wish everything would just... stop.

Ever since that night things have been going, going, going - like nothing changed. But everything did and it's like I'm stuck in slow motion, barely keeping my head above water. The rest of the world keeps on - no one even sees how I'm drowning.

"You know," Grams voice finds me from the kitchen, forcing me to finally take a staggering breath. I grind my teeth, trying not to hear her words. "You can be angry at the world all you like. And you can hate Luke more than anything else."

Please stop. Please.

"But all the anger and hate in the world won't bring your brother back to you, Dylan."

Tears get caught in my lashes as I shake my head.

It won't bring him back - nothing will bring him back.

Nothing...

The fire ripping through me is angry and devastated, making it difficult to find my voice.

Finally I force my eyes open, finding Grams watching me with the saddest expression I've ever seen.

"But Luke should pay, shouldn't he?" I wipe my cheeks. "For doing what he did, for taking him away?"

"Oh, Dylan." Grams is slow to her feet, using the back of her chair for balance as she approaches, wrapping me in her warm embrace. "Whatever he did honey, don't you think he's paying for it already?"

 "Whatever he did honey, don't you think he's paying for it already?"

I'm so sorry this is so late loves.
Had a fur baby emergency
Hope you enjoyed!
Yikes poor Dyl. What would you do if you were her!?