Chapter Twelve

Samuel glanced around, placing a hand to his forehead. "It was just a dream," he muttered. He got up from bed to get dressed, and groaned before he clenched his fist while looking for a clean outfit. "Of all the times for this to happen, it has to be this one," he muttered to himself. "Why me? Why did I have to be the one tortured like this?"

He continued to mutter to himself until well after he was dressed. He cleaned off his desk, making sure to put his homework where it was supposed to be in his backpack, and left the house. He went to wait at the usual corner for Trevor, but caught sight of the boy already walking toward the school. "Trevor!" he called. He bolted for the other boy, continuing to call his name as he went.

Trevor turned around to see Sam running for him, and stopped to let him catch up. Instead of stopping to catch his breath, Samuel lunged for Trevor, hugging him tightly.

Trevor nearly dropped him.

They held each other I the embrace for a moment, with Samuel relishing the feel of Trevor's arms wrapped around his waist. Trevor's heartbeat thumped against Samuel's fingers and Sam placed his ear beside his hand. The quick rhythm and near unsteady breathing rate from Trevor told Sam more than enough of what he wanted to hear. And yet, he was the first to break the embrace.

The two of them held each other out at arms length, and Trevor was the first to speak. "Hey, you. Did you get my text last night?"

Samuel nodded. "I forgot to respond..." He paused, then stuck out his bottom lip. "I thought you wouldn't want to be around me anymore, after what I'd done." He lowered his head.

Trevor forced Samuel to look at him again. "I enjoy your company, Sam. You are the first and only person to actually help me instead of leave me on my own. I want to spend more time with you."

Sam gave him a beaming smile, and the two of them hesitated in letting each other go so they could go to school. On their way, Sam cleared his throat. "So...I had a dream last night..." he said.

Trevor stared at him. "What did you dream about?"

Sam's cheeks flushed a bright pink and he looked away. "I dreamed about...us...together...in your room."

Trevor's mouth gaped open but he shook his head violently. "Is there anything bad about...us?" he asked, keeping his eye contact away from Sam, keeping the conversation from becoming any more awkward.

Samuel remained silent, clinging to himself, as if trying to hide away from the world. Trevor lingered behind a little, watching as his heart beat faster every time his eyes caught sight of Sam's backside; of when the occasional breeze would flow through his hair so smooth, Trevor wanted nothing more than to run his hands through it.

Lately, Samuel wore a scarf around his neck to accompany his daily attire when he came to and from school, and it accentuated his scholar-type look.

Trevor took another glance at Sam's backside and caught himself staring at it; the way the other boy's hips swayed as he walked being enough to make his cheeks flush bright pink.

Trevor glanced at his empty hands and looked at Sam's. Sam had one hand free, and was giving him a side glance. Trevor took the hint and reached for Samuel's one empty hand, grabbing hold of it and squeezing it.

Not a single word was uttered.

Samuel's body radiated with the warmth from Trevor's hand, and a smile played with the corners of Sam's mouth as Trevor's hand almost engulfed his own, leaving all but Sam's fingertips covered.

Beyond all the warmth of the body heat, Sam's cheeks flushed red. I might be in love with Trevor? He pushed the thought away and stored it for future thought. When he wasn't with Trevor.