Chapter 51

hey everyone! sorry for a bit of an updating delay, I got into a HUGE writer's block funk. it was so terrible, I could not think of anything to write! for once I was thankful for my insomnia though, as ideas flooded in finally in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep HAHA! anyways, thanks for the patience, hope you enjoy! :)

"So... this is a Horcrux then?" Sirius questioned curiously.

The four of them were sat at the kitchen table, finally talking about the situation at hand now that everyone calmed down. Joseph was in the process of explaining about the Horcruxes, since the trio was hoping Sirius would have some useful information due to being around Harry so much. It's not ideal having someone know what they were doing since it puts him in danger, but they figured they might as well make the most of him knowing in hopes of getting a step further in their search.

In order to make him understand a little bit better though, Regulus had brought out the destroyed locket for him to see. Sirius was examining the burnt metal with a raised eyebrow, knowing it looked very familiar.

"Well, yes," Cassie began, "but technically it was a Horcrux. The piece of metal is junk now that it's destroyed."

Sirius hummed, "It's weird, Harry has a locket that looks almost exactly like this one. I can't be sure though since I don't know what this one looked like before it was burned."

At this, the father and daughter noticed Joseph and Regulus give each other a knowing look. Their eyes widened significantly as if they were aware of something the others weren't.

"What is it?" she asked.

"Right, um, you see," Regulus started, "when we went to the cave all those years ago to take the locket, we might have left out a part of the story." He scratched his neck awkwardly while glancing at the two pair of eyes that were looking at him with identical looks of confusion. "We left an identical fake locket," he mumbled under his breath.

"You what?!" Cassie screeched.

"It's not like we knew the Potter boy would ever find it! The fake locket was only meant to prevent the Dark Lord from knowing it was missing!" he clarified.

"Well, he'll definitely know now," she said sarcastically.

Joseph sighed, "He was going to find out eventually, but did Harry ever say anything about his locket to you, Sirius?"

"Not much, I never knew it was a Horcrux. All he told me was that the locket him and Dumbledore found was a fake and he was planning on finding the real one," Sirius replied.

"I'm sure that search is going great," Regulus smirked while dangling the destroyed Horcrux.

"That idiot has no idea what he's doing," she grumbled, ignoring her Uncle. "Clearly he knows about the Horcruxes if Dumbledore was involved and knowing him, he won't be exactly subtle in his search. Hopefully Hermione is with him so he doesn't muck up everything."

"She is," Sirius confirmed, "I saw her Disapparate with Harry and Ron."

"That's one piece of good news then, I guess," she said.

Joseph was staring off into space, seemingly deep in thought. Having them not be the only ones searching for the Horcruxes changed everything, it made him wonder what would be the best moving forward. A thought popped up in his mind, however, which made him immediately straighten up in his seat.

"Wait," Joseph announced, looking at his niece, "didn't you say that Harry was wearing a ring that he got defensive over?"

"Yeah, it had a gold band with a black stone," Cassie noted.