Two

It was only coming up to 9 in the morning but I could already hear the sound of Ross' Dodge Challenger warming up. It was painted an electric blue, kind of the best for a road trip.

I pulled the bag strap further up my shoulder, avoiding to hit my brother Louis. "Where are you going?"

"Just out" I smiled. "Back soon!"

"Whatever!" He shouted back and closed his door. Sometimes I'm kind of glad I'm getting away from Louis and Dad. But that all changed when I saw my Mom's sweet smile.

"Morning Amelia" she grinned, radiant. Mom's pregnant you see, and she's constantly glowing and happy, for a woman who hasn't seen her feet in 3 months. "Out already?"

"Hey mom" I gave her a hug and kissed her bump. "Hello Carter"

We found out she's having a baby girl two weeks ago and all I really see is Dad going all out on the nursery. I don't blame them.

Their first child is an emo, the second one an introvert. They can't mess it up again.

"Yeah" I nodded and took a strawberry from the ones freshly washed and cut for the pancakes. "I'll be back, soon"

She touched my shoulder. "Have fun"

With that she added a wink which explained it all. She must have heard us. I gave them both a great big hug and then waved, two beeps in the distance.

When I walked into the already too bright sun, he was slowly chugging away, slow enough for me to run. Don't fail me now aerobics.

I broke into a mad sprint down the street and with one hand on the car seat, I lifted my legs up to hop in.

If only.

My shoe hit the door which sent my foot into the gears (causing the car to hiccup) and my face. Oh my face.

My face landed on his crotch.

"That was quite the entrance" he laughed softly as I sat up, my face on the verge of melting off. "You okay?"

"I don't do exercise..Ross" I collected my breathing and placed my bag on the back then put on the seat belt as he floored it. "So, what do we do now?"

"We go where the road takes us" he shrugged. "I don't plan on leaving California but it's quite a state so, San Fran for the day?"

"Sounds like a deal" I smiled and reached for his camera on the back seat.

"Fill us in, Lynch"

"Whoa"

"Not like that! Tell us what we're doing, where we're going"

"Ah, we're going on an adventure! And we're going to San Fran first, the rest is a mystery....and Amelia fell on my dick"

"I fell into the car, thank you very much"

I recorded his laughter then switched off the camera and grabbed my Polaroid, snapping a photo of him.

He was focusing on the road but you couldn't miss his bright smile. It was almost contagious.

This is going to be one trip of a lifetime.

+++

Lifetime my ass.

"If I stay in this car any longer I'm going to be sick, Ross" I warned.

"Okay, maybe it's time for a break" he pulled over at a resting area with a tiny greasy diner. I sat against the car and he stood opposite me, lighting a cigarette and placing it between his lips nonchalantly.

"Why do you do it?"

"Do what?" He turned around.

"Smoke" I said. "Is it a kind of vice?"

"You could say that, yes" he nodded. "People usually smoke for fun; I just happen to smoke to die"

I kicked his shin. "Don't say that!"

"I'm sorry but it may as well happen now than when you're fat and old-"

"And my kids think I'm a joke" I sang and he laughed. "Kidding, continue"

"I'd rather it happen now that I have memories fresh in my mind rather than when I'm on a ventilator" he scratched his head. "Get me?"

"What's the purple rubber band for?" I asked curious. I could just about see 'DNR' on it. "You never wear rubber bands anymore- does it have a meaning?"

"Yes" he took another drag. I looked at him and he shook his head with a smile. "Never mind it"

"Okay" I nodded. We ended up staying at the stop for a while whilst I kept the small amount of fruit I had in the car down and Ross just, well, he was just looking good as usual.

I took a swig from my water bottle as he chucked me the keys and smiled. "You good to drive?"

"Yeah" I grinned as he held up his camera. "Here we go, vlogger"

"You look amazing when you drive"

"Thanks but no"

"Take the goddamn compliment- don't you laugh at me"

"I can't take you seriously"

"But Amelia, tell us what's up"

"Well, we're back on the road for San Francisco and I will force Ross to record is driving over the Golden Gate Bridge"

"Don't even ask, I'll do it anyways"

"That makes me happy"

"You and me?"

"You and me"

if you know what a 'DNR' bracelet stands for, then don't comment about it 😉