08

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."

I made makeshift clothes with the black blanket Caspian draped over me, and some netting hidden under the bed.

I saw the ridiculous things some women would wear into the ocean, but none of them were practical.

Humans, overall, cared too much about propriety.

I was content in silence, the waves made soothing music against the boat. I could hear whales calling for each other in the distance.

Once in a while I'd feel an ache for the other sirens.

But I had an opportunity not many sirens get.

I got to go to land and meet royalty.

I had the opportunity to kill a prince.

So every time I felt the ache, I'd think of Caspian taking his last breath as I tied him to the bottom of the ocean.

A knock on the door interrupted my musings. "Miss Siren?"

I walked to the door and opened it to the same scrawny sailor they'd assigned to assist me.

"Miss, it's time for you t' get dunked." The sailor- Olly -extended his arm for me.

I took his arm gently and allowed him to lead me to the deck. From the deck I was led to the edge where they lowered the rope ladder for me.

I climbed down the ladder about halfway before jumping into the water, forming my tail during the dive.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。..・

"Sorry Miss, Captain made it clear I wa'n't to take you anywhere but the deck an 'is room."

"Come on Olly, I've been trapped in this room for so long I'm starting to drive myself crazy. If you could just take me to the deck for a walk I'd be forever indebted."

Olly stared me down. We held eye contact for a few minutes before Olly turned, "I'll be back miss."

I groaned when I heard the lock click on my door. I walked to my cot and plopped on it.

I hadn't had any human contact with anyone but Olly in weeks as Caspian cleared everyone off deck for a half hour every midday.

I hadn't drown anyone since I got on this damn boat.

And they fed me stale rolls with mystery gravy.

If I was any less curious what Caspians castle looked like, I'd raise Hell on this ship.

Olly knocked and opened the door moments later, but this time with Caspian in tow. "She's too idle cap'in, she needs fresh air."

I drank in Caspians slightly disheveled appearance, his silky black hair was unruly and his jacket had been long abandoned leaving him in his dirty cotton shirt.

I had to resist the urge I had to pounce on him.

Half out of anger for trapping me in this endless repetition, and half because of how handsome he looked.

"She looks sprightly as ever."

I glared at him, "I require entertainment. Might I remind you what normal days look like for me? I drown men for fun and now I've gone weeks without seeing the life drain from ones eyes. If I don't get anything to break up this mundane prison you've trapped me in I will singlehandedly destroy this entire ship."

"You couldn't-"

"Oh you have no idea what I can do, especially when I've been penned up for weeks."

Caspians eyes betrayed his false confidence, they flickered with worry. "I will arrange for entertainment." Caspian turned and walked out of the room.

Olly gave me a side eye, "Don't worry Olly." I mentioned before replanting myself on my cot, "if Caspian forced me to take action, I'd spare you."

Olly anxiously nodded before rushing out the door.

The fear in his eyes could've fueled me for days.