Chapter 51

Alec was now vertical and back at the Institute and Serena hadn't left his side if she could help it. And Alec understood why, he'd felt their bond sever too, and now that it was back, she didn't ever want to feel like that again. Parabatai's lost part of their soul when one died, but a couple marked with the wedded union rune lost part of their heart.

Serena was not on talking terms with Izzy or Clary, and only spoke to Magnus when she had to, she was also a frequent visitor to the City of Bones to see her brother.

Jocelyn was explaining to Clary how she was to be transferred to Idris because they didn't trust her in New York near Valentine, and how she wanted Clary to come with her when the Lightwood trio asked her to join them on a mission.

Well, Alec and Izzy did. They were without Jace and with everyone else out on patrol looking for Valentine, Clary was their only option.

"Well, this is one nasty demon," Serena said as Luke walked through the glamour barrier to see her and Izzy examining the dead mundane body. "Punched a hole right through his chest."

"With that kind of strength, I doubt it's done yet," Luke said as Izzy took a swab of the wound.

"Nothing in the immediate area," Alec announced as he came back from checking the perimeter, trying to see if he could pick up a trail.

"We're taking the body back to the Institute. Serena and I will run some tests to see what kind of demon we're dealing with," Izzy announced as she stood, Serena examining the eyes of the victim.

"Clary and I will widen the perimeter," Alec said unhappily before he kissed his wife's temple and turned to the redhead. "Hey, Fray! We got a demon to hunt. Come on."

"Hey Luke, you mind getting the stretcher?" Serena asked the wolf who nodded and went to retrieve it as the blonde crouched back down and looked at the body.

"Come on, S. Are you seriously not talking to me? It's been over a week," Izzy tried to reason with the girl.

Serena stood as she faced her sister and parabatai. "Yeah, it's been over a week. It's been over a week since my husband died right in front of me. It's been over a week since I've hugged my brother. It's been over a week since you had him arrested and didn't even tell me about it!"

"I saved his life!" Izzy yelled back. "Jace would be dead if I hadn't saved him from the wolves. And it's not like he'll stay in the City of Bones forever. The second he touches the Soul Sword, Aldertree will hear the truth that he was never on Valentine's side."

"It doesn't change that fact that you didn't bother to tell me, Izzy! You knew and you didn't tell me! You of all people. My sister and my parabatai."

"Serena, I'm sorry. It's just you were going through so much already with Alec, and I didn't want to add anymore onto your plate."

"Just...give me time."

And Serena walked out of the barrier.