54"

The house elves had really out done themselves in Alya's opinion

Christmas decorations hung from the walls and door frames while stockings dangled over the fire places.

The annual Christmas tree was put up in the main hall and was scattered with all different colours of lights and candles. A miss match of decorations hung off the pines branches and sparkled in the soft light.

"The hall looks really beautiful this year" Amalie commented gazing upon the tree.

"Yeah beautiful" Daria waved, "but do you know what is beautiful? These potatoes" she said stabbing another onto her fork and shoving in into her mouth

Amalie winced in disgust at the action while Roxanne snickered beside Alya.

"Ever the charmer Dar" Alya smirked nudging her with her elbow, "I'm sure you'll have won Frank over in no time"

"Hey! Not everyone has a boy running after them Alya" Daria replied pointing her fork at her, "he just needs to realise that I like him and we'll live together happily ever after"

"He's not a mind reader" Alya rolled her eyes

"We don't know that" Roxanne shrugged, "he could be an occlumens"

"Let's hope for his sake he's not" Amalie laughed, "poor thing, imagine the things he'd hear"

Alya shivered, "I'd rather not"

"I'm going to miss this food" Roxanne sighed helping herself to another plate

"Tell me about it" Daria murmured stuffing more food into her mouth

"What's everyone's plans for Christmas then?" Amalie asked

"Same as usual" Roxanne replied, "I'm going to the burrow"

"Probably spending it with my parents" Daria replied, "then probably spending New Years with the Potters"

"Speaking of Potters" Daria smirked, "we all know what Alya's doing at Christmas"

Alya started choking on her drink, spluttering a little as Amalie thumped her on the back, "fucking hell Dar" she croaked finally stopping her coughing fit

Daria only smirked and carried on eating her food.

"James, calm down" Alya said as the pair walked down the train, finishing off their patrolling duty as head boy and girl.

"What if your mum doesn't like me!" He panicked

"My mums already met you and she really liked you"

"But she might not like me anymore!"

"Stop being stupid" Alya rolled her eyes, "it'll all be fine"

"Do you think she'll like the Christmas gift I got her? Merlin! What if she hates it?! I should buy another just incase!"

"Potter!" Alya yelled grabbing his arm making him come to a stop, "stop panicking, all will be fine. Deep breaths"

James nodded brushing his hair out of his face, "okay, okay. But what if Frank and Nico find out that I'm staying at yours for Christmas? People will find out!"

"Stop it James! It's really not that big of a deal, I don't know why you're keeping it a secret from them"

"Because if they know, everyone will know, and you're not ready for that. Merlin were not even dating and-"

"James!" She shouted, "stop rambling. You're giving me a headache"

James sighed resting against a compartment door, the third years inside giving him strange looks.

"Come on" Alya said nodding her head down the train, "we're pulling onto the station"

Alya waved goodbye to the girls, Frank and Nico before searching the crowd for her mother.

James had quickly ran off to find his parents to greet them, later returning to Alya and her mother.

"Mum!" Alya waved running over and throwing her arms around her

"Alys" Suzanna smiled happily stroking her daughters hair, "have you had a good term so far?"

"It's been... somewhat eventful" Alya smiled

At that moment James appeared at her side

"Oh James!" Suzanna smiled bringing him into a sudden bone crushing hug

James' eyes seemed to widen before hugging the woman back warmly

"How are you Miss Hill?" He asked smiling down at her

"I'm good thank you darling, call me sue" she said happily, "are you kids ready to go?"

The Hills residents was everything James had expected. He chuckled to himself, of course it was so homely and colourful. It reminded him so much of Alya.

A small Christmas tree stood next to the tv, decorated in twining lights and hanging homemade baubles that had been crocheted, little candy canes that had been made with clay and painted red and white.

The walls were covered by book shelves filled with poetry and books of all kinds of literature while the wall that wasn't covered by the book shelf was covered with paintings and photographs.

The coffee table infront of the table held picture frames from Alya's childhood and a box of chocolates that seemed to be out especially for Christmas.

The apartment was a small one, it all open plan and cluttered but cosy and homely.

"Alya, show James to his room?" Suzanna called making her way to the kitchen, "would you like a cuppa dear?" She asked turning to him

"Please, if it's no trouble" he nodded looking to Alya, "a cuppa?" He mouthed to her in question

Alya only laughed shaking her head, "make that three mum!"