34•|HYPOCRITE.|

I'M BACK! 💚

ⓣⓞⓛⓐ ⓐⓘⓢⓗ. 

~TAYO~

I had to tune out their conversations. I just had to. 

It was really suffocating.

Having to sit next to people which I didn't like a bit was indeed suffocating. Having to act like I cared about whatever they were saying riled me up, however you might be wondering why I didn't get up most especially since I wasn't the type to tolerate what I did not like.

The answer was simple.

It was because of my father who I desperately wanted to impress by being on my best behavior, whereas the man didn't even spare me a glance. That man — Mr Olatayo Jasper Banku was seated in all his glory opposite me on our twelve foot long mahogany dining table, laughing boisterously at what his best friend, Mr Kalejaiye Benson, had said to him. His annoying brown teeth were out on display as he articulated to his friend while I held on tightly to my fork as I messed with the spaghetti in my plate.

Angry was how I felt as I glared at him. I was a tad irritated at both him and my mother, who was sitting next to him, speaking to Mrs Benson.

My mum, Mrs Tolu Abike Banku was gladly showing off her diamond studded necklace to Mrs Chineye Benson who couldn't stop praising it, and I knew that woman wished she was the one who owned that necklace instead of my mum. It was all obvious with the way she kept eyeing the necklace in-between conversations.

Truly, I was meant to be glad that both my parents were home, I wasn't. 

From the moment they stepped into the house they didn't even regard me, all they both did was simply to ask if I was okay before they went upstairs to their room. And it made my heart hurt with indignation. I didn't even need their hugs or anything, all I only needed was a hint of care in their voice and for them to be interested in my life a little.

Funny how they didn't ask anything about why I wasn't in school when they saw me at home earlier, but when my father had seen Mr Benson, the first question he asked him was about his work.

Tsk, yet he couldn't ask me, his own blood about how school was.

It sounded ironic, but it was the truth anyway.

"Tayo," Even without turning my head, I knew who had called me and it made me boil more with anger because I despised the voice which called me. "Your dad is calling you."

I whipped my head to the owner of the voice who was seated close to me, leaving a lot of space between where my parents and her parents were seated. It was the pest, Jolade Benson. Her and her parents, Mr and Mrs Benson were over at my house for dinner.

"Your dad called for you." She nudged her head to where he was seated far away from me.

Taking my head forward, I looked at my father who had a huge grin on his face as he stared at me, but I didn't smile or grin back at him. I was never the type to fake any emotions, so my face was stoic as I stared at him, almost glaring, in the face, wondering why he called me.

"I've been calling you, son," His voice was baritone, deep and huge just like he was. "Mr Benson just told me something which I find it difficult to believe."

I said nothing, only listened as my grip on my fork got tighter. His voice annoyed me also.

"Is it true that you got into a public fight with Jaiye Kuti son?"