XII

"Lies and secrets, Tessa, they are like a cancer in the soul. They eat away what is good and leave only destruction behind." Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

---- 

XII.

Alex had never seen such a large home. Never. Not even the plantation houses had been so grand. It was truly a palace situated on lush, green land in what could have been the heart of the country, when in reality it was but a stone's throw from London.

And this was where Susanna lived.

Susanna's brother, the duke, was perhaps the most courteous peer Alex had ever encountered. Of course, he had not encountered many, but the gentlemen that he had come into contact with preferred to greet him with their fists and not a smile.

This was the reason that Alex and Len had not ridden to Hertfordshire until now, as Alex had needed to wait for his bruising to subside before he could sit in a saddle for thirty miles.

The three men were on horseback, being led in front by the duke. Len had gladly accepted the duke's offer of accommodation without a second thought. Alex did not want to be sceptical, but he couldn't help it. He couldn't see kindness without strings. He couldn't understand kindness at all.

The duke led them to the back of the estate where a series of outbuildings were situated, one of them being a stable. Two grooms emerged from the stables and the duke slowed his horse to a stop before them.

Alex pulled on Argent's reins, and she slowed immediately. He jumped down from her saddle and ran his hand comfortingly along her neck as he caught the eye of one of the grooms.

He was a young man who could be no older than twenty or so. He looked slightly frightened of Alex, or at the very least intimidated. Alex turned away and cooed in French to Argent instead. She was never afraid.

"Please feed and water Mr Whitfield and Mr Bishop's horses," the duke instructed as he handed his reins to the first groom. "Then put them in the stable."

The young groom timidly came to collect Argent's reins. Alex uttered, "Merci," under his breath, not knowing what else to do.

"Come along. Allow me to show you the house," the duke continued, not seeming to notice the interaction.

The three men walked back across the grounds towards the house, and Alex could not help but still marvel at its grandeur. What it must be like to be master of such a house. Alex had fallen a few steps behind the duke and Len.

It was not purposeful, but habit. He received less dirty looks when he was not seen to be walking at equal stride with white men.

The duke was speaking to Len, but as he was ahead, his voice was muffled, and Alex could not quite understand what was being said. But the thought of "master" passed through Alex's head again.

Alex had not known many masters personally, but reputation often preceded them. The one master he had known personally had left his mark on Alex permanently.

As much as Alex was sceptical, this man did seem very decent, which Alex knew he would be able to believe and very soon indeed. He was related to Susanna, after all. It only made his sin that much greater.

Len was not afflicted, not that he ever was. He was smiling and chuckling and complimenting the duke to no end. Alex wondered what it must be like to not suffer the burden of a conscience.

The duke led them up a large stone staircase at the rear of the house and through a large, wooden door. He, Len and Alex found themselves in a panelled hallway illuminated by windows on either side of the door. It was adorned with portraits of people dressed in regal elegance, and the pile of the carpet on the floor looked to be woven by an artist.