Chapter Thirteen

Samuel sat at his desk, bouncing the eraser of his pencil against his forehead. He heard the front door open and close, then heard his mother's voice. "I'm home!" she called. Samuel left his room to catch her before she went into her office again, but caught her in the hallway. "Mom...I think I might like Trevor..." he said.

His mom went to her office to drop off her purse and other belongings. "Didn't we have a conversation like this a few days ago?"

Samuel nodded. "Yeah, but that's not what I mean. No. I might...like Trevor. As in, I might have a crush on him...and want to be in a romantic relationship with him..."

His mother stood, and she refused to look him in the eye. "...oh. Well..." she paused to regain her composure. "Well, If you truly are happy with him, then I'm happy, too."

Samuel lingered in the doorway of her office. "Are you sure?" he asked.

She turned to him and placed her hands on his shoulders. "Yes. You're my son, and I would rather see you happy."

Her son wrapped his arms around her. "Thanks, mom," he said. "Also, I made dinner, since you got off so late."

She chuckled. "That's so sweet of you, Sammy." She kissed his head as she made her way toward the dining room to eat.

Samuel pulled out his phone, and his fingers flew across the keyboard. Hey Trevor...I know I haven't been completely honest with you. And I know I said I like being around you and you keep me from being bored, and if you're familiar with the term "lying through omission", then consider me a liar. I not only like being around you, I like you as well. I liked the way you held me when I broke down. The way you treat me feels absolutely amazing, and I want more of that. Will you let me have you?

He shut his bedroom door, and lingered in from of it while he stared at the screen. He sighed and shook his head as he pressed the backspace button. There is no way he'd...but maybe...? No I shouldn't, he thought. He hopped onto his computer and, messaged his friends.

Sam C.: Hey! I want to tell Trevor I like him, but I don't know how. Any tips for confessions?

Charlie: Sam, give it some thought, and give him some space.

June: I agree on the thought part, not about the space part. If it's gonna be a confession, it's gotta be dramatic. Take notes from Shakespeare and some of his sonnets.

Sam: I feel like quoting Shakespeare isn't like me. It'd be obvious I sought out help.

Kiera: Did you have something in mind?

Samuel hopped onto his phone to send a screen-shot of his original message to the server, and waited.

Charlie: That doesn't seem like you wrote that either. Cut down the smaller details, like the "lying through omission" part, and the details about how you came to like him.

Sam C.: That leaves the first line, and the last two sentences. Not much to say...

Charlie: "Trevor, I haven't been completely honest with you. I like being around you, and I love the way you keep me from being bored. The way you treat me makes me feel like I could fly. I love you, but the question is: Do you love me?"

Sam C.:Now how do I get the courage to send that?

June: Are serious, Sam?

Sam C.: I have never done this before! Cut me some slack, June! You're the romance expert. Help. Me.

June: Okay! You've already made the first mistake of wanting to do a confession over text message. This is something you need to talk to him about in person, so you don't have a panic attack just waiting on a response from him, and so he doesn't think you're a coward for not going up and actually talking to him.