⁰¹⁴ eavesdropping

❝ harry! we thought we heard your dulcet tones ! ❞

heard your dulcet tones !

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"ALRIGHT, LET HIM BREATHE, HERMIONE." ron chuckled, and the latter eased off of the potter boy with a sigh.

"hey, harry." maeve smiled to him, after the boy was released, and he finally got a good look of the room. she spared a look at hermione, slightly jealous that she had given him so much attention.

"we'll get to pleasantries later—" hermione interrupted. "there's a hearing at the ministry— it's just outrageous! i've looked it up, they simply can't expel you! it's completely unfair!"

"plus, there's provision in the decree for the reasonable restriction of underage sorcery for the use of magic in life-threatening situations!" maeve added in.

"uh, yeah, there's a lot of that going on at the moment." the boy murmured, walking further into the room and past the peeling wallpaper. "so, what is this place?"

"headquarters." ron said.

"for the order of the phoenix. it's a secret society. dumbledore formed it when they first fought you-know-who." levi added.

"you couldn't have put all this in a letter, i suppose?" harry said sarcastically, furrowing his eyebrows. "i've gone all summer without a scrap of news!"

"we wanted to write, mate." ron mumbled. "really, we did. only—"

"—only what?"

"only, dumbledore made us swear not to tell you anything."

"dumbledore said? but, why would he want to keep me in the dark? i mean, maybe i could help! after all, i'm the one who saw voldemort return, i'm the one who fought him— i'm the one who saw cedric diggory get killed—" he was getting frantic now, raising his voice, until he was interrupted by fred and george, who materialised out of thin air, apparating to the middle of the room.

"harry! we thought we heard your dulcet tones."

"will you two stop doing that, for heaven's sake!" hermione breathed, catching back her breath from being scared.

fred chuckled, shaking her off. "well, if you're all done shouting—"

"—want to hear something a little more interesting?" george asked, pulling out the extendable ear from his pocket.