VIII || Zia, Zio & Cugino's

A u r o r a

A u r o r a

Nonno curses quietly under his breath when he feels me tense against him.

"Do they have no regard for others?" He mutters to himself.

I furrow my eyebrows at him, but thinking about it I guess he's right. It's like they don't realise I'm not ready for company, family or not. Well, I suppose I better get used to it, I have a large family and they're all going to want to see me at some point.

I take a deep breath and bring my head from the crook of Nonno's neck. My eyes scan the room as I try to relax my breathing and heart rate. Just breathe Aurora. Easy right?

Wrong.

I need safety right now, I need my Papà. I wriggle out of Nonno's grip and wobble over towards my Dad. I immediately stand beside him and without hesitation he hoists me into his arms. I let out a sigh of relief once I'm situated in his grasp.

It's not that I don't feel safe with Nonno, he's just not Daddy.

I tuck my head against Daddy's chest taking deep breaths. A hand rubs my back tracing shapes as it goes. I don't flinch, I find comfort in this touch. I squeeze my eyes shut one last time and take a breath, it's time to face them all.

I stop hiding in Daddy's neck and turn to see all twelve cousins, three uncles, five brothers, three aunts, mommy and both grandparents.

I inhale deeply and bring my hands up shakily ready to sign.

'Hello everyone, it's good to see you all.'

This time when I sign it isn't a big surprise like it was with Nonno and Nonna.

Zio Otello is the first to speak, he is the youngest of all my dads brothers. It goes Daddy as the oldest then Angelo, Ricco and Otello.

"Ciao Bambola It's lovely to have you back, I missed our pranks." His deep voice rumbled mischievously.

Before I was taken by Viktor to Russia, Zio Otello and I would cause mischief throughout the house.

Introducing the fun uncle.

Even though he has more children than Angelo and Ricco he is the most immature. Even his sons are more mature than him. Saying this, Otello doesn't care a bit and neither do I.

A small smile breaks its way onto my face remembering all the fun we used to have.

I give him a shy wave and lean my head on Daddy's chest.