Chapter 1

"Dad... stop... please, you're scaring me!" I shouted.
"This is to help you, Emma! So that I won't lose you like your mother!" shouted my dad.
He brought my wrist closer and bit it, over and over again.
His eyes were red, and he became even angrier...

"Emma, wake up!" it was Bella, my foster sister. "You were having a nightmare..."
I covered my arms again. Here in Phoenix it's weird to wear long sleeves, but I hate it if people see my scars. I couldn't wait to move to Forks, not that Renée wasn't nice, but the weather in Forks was cooler. I hated hot weather...

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you" I said with my British accent.
"It's alright, are you okay?" she asked and sat down next to me.
"Yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry, Bells" I said and smiled.

It has been a year now, since I've been living with her and Renée.
Ever since my parents died, they have been taking care of me.
I don't remember meeting Charlie Swan, but he sounded like my kind of person. Alone, not asking too many questions,...

"Do you want me to sleep here for the rest of the night?" asked Bella.
"No, it's fine. You go back to bed. I'll pack my stuff for tomorrow, maybe draw a little. It's okay, Bells. You don't need to worry about me" I said and she nodded.
Another good thing about Bella, she didn't pester. She gave me space when I needed it.

I packed my suitcase. I put away some pictures of my mom and me, I looked a lot like her.
I began to feel a strange sensation... I have been feeling it ever since I almost died a year ago. It felt cold, eery... it felt like death...

But as soon as it came... it disappeared, but I felt sad.
I shook my head and finished packing my suitcase.
I put on my headset and listened to some music while drawing the garden.

I always felt calmer when I could focus on the music and was able to draw.
Suddenly a figure appeared next to me, with a glass of milk.
"I knew you'd be awake" it was Renée.

"Sorry if I woke you up" I said and accepted her glass.
"You didn't. Did you have another nightmare?" she asked and I nodded. "They will fade in time, Emma. I'm sure of it"

"I hope so" I whispered.
"You know, you can stay with me if you want" she said.
"I know. But you've already done so much for me. I don't want to be in your way. Besides, you know I like cooler weather" I said and she chuckled.
"If you change your mind, just call, okay?" she asked and I nodded. I hugged her softly and she hugged me back.

~

After saying goodbye to Phill and Renée, Bella and I got on the plane.
"Are you okay with this, Bells?" I asked and she nodded.
"It's the best way. So mom can be happy" she said and I sighed.
"I just hope you'll be happy" I said and put on my headset and turned on the music.

We finally arrived at the airport. We got our luggage and Bella found Charlie.
They hugged awkwardly and I shook his hand.
"I'm Charlie Swan. You probably don't remember me" he said and I smiled.

"No, I don't. Sorry" I said. "Thank you, for letting me stay with you"
"No problem. Your mom was a good friend. You look a lot like her" he said and we followed him to the car.
It was cooler here, I liked it. I loved the rain, the cold...

I sat in the backseat, looking out of the window. Looking at the rain falling on the windows...
After a long, silent ride, we rode into Forks.
"Your hair's longer" said Charlie suddenly to Bella.
'Oh, boy... this is awkward...'

"I cut it since the last time I saw you" said Bella.
"Oh" said Charlie. "Guess it grew out again"
I smiled, tried not to laugh.
"Emma" said Charlie. "You really look a lot like your mother. She also liked to colour her hair"
'Okay, it's easier to tell people I colour it, then to tell them my natural hair colour is greyish'
"Yeah, it's easier getting used to grey hair earlier than later" I said and he laughed.

~

We arrived at his house, it was smaller than the house in Phoenix.
I got my luggage and followed the two inside.
"Emma, I made this bedroom for you. I hope you don't mind sleeping at the side of the road" said Charlie and opened the door right from the stairs. It looked outside to the front of the house.

"No, of course I don't mind. I'm already grateful you're giving me my own room" I said and he smiled.
"Renée said you liked the colour blue. So I got you some blue bed sheets" he said and I smiled.
"Thank you, it's lovely" I said and sat down on the bed.

There was a nightstand, a bureau, a closet, even a stand to draw...
"I've cleared some shelves off in the bathroom" said Charlie.
"Right, one bathroom" I heard Bella say. Her room was across mine.

Charlie tried to talk to Bella, but it was awkward.
I began unpacking, but I stopped when I felt that cold feeling again...
'Please, go away... please...' I thought.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard the horn of a car.
"Bells? Who are those people?" I asked and she walked into my room, looking down at the porch.
"I think that's Billy Black in the wheelchair, and that must be Jacob, his son" she said. "Let's go downstairs"

~

I followed her and I noticed that Billy Black was staring at me.
"Bella, you remember Billy Black" said Charlie.
"Yeah" said Bella. "You're looking good"
"Well, I'm still dancing" he said.
"This is Emma Marshall" Charlie introduced me.

"It's nice to meet you" I said and shook his hand.
"British?" he asked.
"No, my mom was. I just have the accent I'm afraid" I said and he smiled.

"Well, I'm glad you two are finally here. Charlie here hasn't shut up about it since you told him you were coming" he said.
"All right, keep exaggerating. I'll roll you into the mud" said Charlie.
"After I ram you in the ankles" said Billy and rolled after Charlie in his wheelchair.

"Hi, I'm Jacob" said the boy with long hair.
"Hey" said Bella.
"We used to make mud pies when we were little" said Jacob.
"Right. No, I remember" said Bella.

"Are those two always like this?" I asked pointing at the two grownups.
"It's getting worse with old age" Jacob answered.
"So, what do you think?" asked Charlie, touching the red truck.
"Of what?" asked Bella.

"Your homecoming present" said Charlie.
"The car, Bells" I whispered in her ear.
"This?" she asked.
"Just bought it off Billy here" said Charlie.

"I totally rebuilt the engine for you" said Jacob.
"Come on! Oh, my gosh! This is perfect. Are you joking me?" said Bella and got inside the car.
"Don't you want to check out the car, Emma?" asked Billy.
"No, I don't have my license" I said.

"Really? Why is that?" he asked.
"Doctors orders" I answered. "I don't want to talk about it"
I covered my hands with my sweater and smiled.
"I understand" he said.

'The doctors won't let me get my license until I have these episodes under control...'
"You think Bella likes the truck?" asked Charlie.
"Yeah, I think she does. It's the first time she has her own car" I said.
"I told you she'd love it. I'm down with the kids" said Billy.

"Oh, yeah, dude. You're the bomb" said Charlie, making me chuckle.
"Well, if you'll excuse me" I said and Billy smiled.
"You really are so British" he said.
"That's not my fault. But anyway, I'm going to unpack if you don't mind" I said and went back inside.
Billy was nice, but he felt kind of weird...
'It's probably just me... I'm just making this stuff up...'