Chapter 8

Jasper asked me to go to his house, where they all could explain.
So I left a note saying that I would stay over at Alice's.

Dr. Cullen and Alice were already waiting for us.
"Alice can see in the future, so she knew we were coming" said Jasper.
"Come in, Emma. I suspect you have a lot of questions" said Dr. Cullen.

I held Jasper's hand tightly, I was still a bit scared.
"Oh, great. She knows" said Rosalie. "You told her, didn't you?"
"I had to, Rosalie" said Jasper and she left the room.

"Don't worry about her. She'll turn around" said Emmett.
"I'm Esme, it's nice to finally meet you, Emma" said a beautiful woman.
"It's nice to meet you too, Mrs. Cullen" I said and she smiled.
"Just call me Esme, dear" she said and I nodded.
I sat down in the sofa, not letting go of Jasper. He was my link to this reality.

"So, what questions do you have?" asked Dr. Cullen. "Jasper can answer anything about what we are if you're more comfortable. But I knew your mother, I can try to answer those questions"
"Eh... Jasper said you met her 90 years ago" I said. "But, Dr. Cullen, how is that possible?"

"Call me Carlisle" he said and I nodded. "Your mother was a Banshee. From what she told me, when you have a near death experience, you begin to feel death and the supernatural around you. But, when you scream like a Banshee, you will stop aging. She told me that 2 years after nearly dying, she screamed and didn't age anymore"

"2 years you say, heh" I said and looked at my hand that was intertwined with Jasper's. "A year after my mother died, my dad became obsessed with surviving death. One day he didn't came home, he was just gone, no note, not a single message"

I rolled up my sleeves, showing everyone in the room my scars. "A few weeks later, he came back home. But he was different. He was paler and his eyes were red. He said he had found a way to save me, so that I wouldn't die like my mom. He bit me, but when nothing happened, he kept biting me"

Jasper wrapped his arm around me and kissed my hair, knowing that telling them wasn't easy.
"He would leave often, and people were dying all around. And when he came home, he kept trying to change me. But one day, he hit me so I passed out. I can't remember much, but I remember people with red eyes checking me. And setting my father on fire. They left me there and I was barely out of reach of the fire when I came too. The neighbour had to drag me out of the house to save me, apparently I flatlined once on the way to the hospital" I said and they all listened to my story. "So, why did my mom die? If she was as old as you say, and why didn't my dad succeed in changing me?"

"Banshees are immortal creatures, they won't die of natural causes and they heal faster than normal humans. But they can be killed like humans. And Banshees are immune to vampire venom" explained Carlisle.
"They said my mom died of an animal attack" I said and looked him straight in the eyes. "Is that true?"

"I'm not sure, it's quite possible that it was a vampire who killed her" he answered honestly.
"Here, I made you some warm milk" said Esme and gave me the cup.
"Thank you" I said and accepted the cup.

"How are you taking all of this?" asked Emmett and smirked.
"Eh, okay, I think?" I said and he looked surprised. "It's nice to know I'm not going crazy like my father"
"I'll set up a bed for you to sleep in" said Alice and left the room.

~

I followed Jasper to his room, there was a bed quickly set up for me.
"You're handling this surprisingly well" said Jasper and I sat down on the bed.
"You said you could control emotions. Have you been doing that to me?" I asked.

"Yes, but only so that they wouldn't overwhelm you, or that you calmed down" he said. "I'm sorry"
"No, don't be. I'm grateful" I said and laid my hand on his. "You've helped me, so I'm very grateful"