[3] - 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘩𝘰𝘮𝘦

JAMES RHODES STOOD IN THE LOUNGE speaking to Secretary Ross who presented himself through a hologram. Rhodey would've rather been doing something else such kicking back and watching flicks. He was retired after all.

But Thaddeus insisted that they have a meeting to discuss the situation with Vision along with what had happened in New York. Rhodes could never catch a break.

"Still no word on the Vision?" Thaddeus asked the colonel.

"Satellites lost him somewhere over Edinburgh." He replied.

"On a stolen Quinjet with five of the world's most wanted criminals."

Rhodey crossed his arms. Steve, Natasha, Sam, Wanda, and Y/N had been on the run for the past two years and Ross tried all that he could to track them down...to no avail. They've done well in laying low.

Rhodey is glad that his friends haven't been caught.

"You know they're only criminals because you've chosen to call them that, right, sir?"

Thaddeus groaned, "My God, Rhodes. Your talent for horseshit rivals my own."

"If it weren't for those Accords, Vision would've been right here."

Thaddeus got up from his seat and walked closer to Rhodey. The colonel looked straight into the eyes of Ross's hologram form.

"I remember your signature on those papers, Colonel."

Rhodey nodded, "That's right...", he looked down at his legs that were being supported with Stark-tech braces, "And I'm pretty sure I paid for that."

"You have second thoughts? Like L/N did in Berlin?" Thaddeus asked.

"Not anymore." Rhodey replied.

The two heard a mechanical door open, and they turned to look at who it was. To their surprise, the fugitives who Ross was adamant on apprehending entered.

Steve and Natasha walked into the room with the rest following behind. Y/N and Sam were helping Vision with Wanda walking beside them.

"Mr. Secretary." Steve greeted the hologram of Ross.

"You got some nerve. I'll give you that." He replied.

"You could use some of that right now." Natasha rebutted.

"The world's on fire. And you think all is forgiven?"

"I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking for permission." Steve told him. "Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too."

Thaddeus stared at the Captain for a moment, trying to contain his annoyance and anger. He turned around to face Rhodey.

"Arrest them."

Rhodey gave a sly nod, "All over it.", and then ended the call with him.

He wasn't going to abide by his orders.

"That's a court-martial. Good to see you, Cap."

Steve walked up to Rhodey and shook his hand, "You too, Rhodey."

He also hugged Natasha, then looked at the rest of the team.

"Wow. You guys...really look like crap." Rhodey remarked. "Must've been a rough couple years."

"Yeah, well, the hotels weren't exactly five star." Sam replied, then pointed at Y/N. "And then you have ghost-boy here hogging the queen beds and hot water."