Pineapple Sage

Pineapple Sage

...

"That time of year already, huh?" Jack asked himself as petals dancing on a warm breeze filled the clearing that housed his lake. "I thought you were avoiding me."

The brunette landed daintily on the adjacent bank, the flowers in her long braid and her white dress stilling as the breeze died down. She made no sign that she had heard, or that she had even noticed him. Jack couldn't help but smile. That was so like her. He was pretty sure she lived by the motto 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'.

May Queen went contentedly about her business, clearing the frost and snow and nurturing growing flower buds.

"What's spring like?"

Jack's question seemed to catch her off guard and she turned her head to face him. "Pardon?"

"Spring. What's it like? It's usually too hot for me to get a good look."

May was silent for a long time and Jack began to wonder if she would respond. She turned away from him, resuming her work.

Jack sighed, getting to his feet. The wind had been tugging him to move on with the winter, concerned about the temperature as always, but Jack liked to stay in his home for as long as possible.

"Colourful."

Jack started at the sudden spoken words, giving the spirit of spring his full attention. She had her back to him, but seemed aware of his confusion.

"Spring," she clarified. "It's colourful. And warm."

"Oh," he shifted, a light smile on his face. This was the most response he'd ever gotten out of her. "I'll have to keep an eye out for a cold day."

A silence settled over them, but it was nothing like the awkward one that usually accommodated their encounters. This one was more… peaceful. The wind gave another restless tug as the sun reached its zenith. The temperature was rising as the days went past and, while he could stay in moderately warm temperatures, he would need to leave before long.

He moved to allow the wind to carry him but stopped when he heard the call of his name. Looking back over his shoulder, he was surprised to see May watching him, a slight furrow to her brow and a flower held delicately in her  hands.

"Here," she said, and the petal-ridden breeze carried the flower over to him.

The edges of its petals began to frost as he caught it, but he paid that no mind, sending the spring spirit a quizzical expression.

"It's a pineapple sage," she explained. "An edible flower. You don't look like you've eaten in a while."

Jack stood bewildered as May, seemingly embarrassed, returned to her gardening.

"Thank you," he said, genuinely touched. When she did not so much as glance at him, Jack took his cue to leave and allowed the wind to carry him down south.

When he returned that winter, Jack was surprised to see the lake surrounded by a beautiful assortment of winter flowers.