Chapter 4; Refuge

My twt is @HadesTrades, I post updates on delays or reschedules there, follow to keep updated!

------

Tommy's head was swimming. He barely had a grasp on where he was when he began processing the first thing he saw as his eyes opened.

An explosion of emotions struck through him as he looked up at that smiling mask.

Tommy jerked away and began scrambling backward, pushing his heels into the wooden plank floor on his rear. He put some distance between himself and Dream as quickly as possible. His mind disoriented and afraid, he didn't have the forethought that it took to remind himself that Dream was his friend and there was no reason to fear him. He saw another figure move from the corner of his eye and shot a look in Techno's direction.

"Tommy, Tommy- be careful," Dream warned as Tommy got dangerously close to the fireplace. Not wanting the boy to burn himself.

Techno watched. He couldn't help but feel uneased by the interaction between the two. Tommy was not only scared out of his mind of Dream- clearly- but his hands were bound by a rope. It looked like Tommy had just been left to the cold on his own without any protection from the weather.

This entire situation was off.

Dream leaned forward toward Tommy. The man shifted on his knees until close enough to reach out and gently untie Tommy's wrists. The tight rope had left red marks on him that were sore and bruising. A few spot of skin had been scratched open by the course lead as well.

"Is he okay?" Techno asked tentatively. He was pretty bad at situations like this. He didn't exactly enjoy engaging in any of the interpersonal things going on, but in this case he was sincerely concerned. "I mean, he looks pretty banged up."

"Don't worry about him," Dream assured the man. He popped open another potion and placed it to Tommy's lips. "Drink this."

Tommy was beginning to calm down and he looked at the glass bottle that was suddenly in front of his face. His initial fear was quelled by the kindness Dream was showing him. Maybe it was because they were in front of Techno, but perhaps he was softening up again. Usually he would return to his usual self after a big punishment as earlier.

Tommy lifted his hands to the potion bottle, cupping it and Dream placed it into his palms. With a gentle push of his hand beneath Tommy's, he encouraging the boy to tilt it back and the teen gulped it down. The liquid inside left a fuzzy warmth tingling across Tommy's body, from his gut through his extremities and he sighed in relief as the healing properties of the potion took effect immediately.

"Th-thank you, Dream," Tommy muttered, before giving a shaky breath. Tommy then gave a glance up to Technoblade and furrowed his brow angrily.

"Tommy," Dream scolded him immediately and grabbed his jaw, forcing him to look directly into the mask hiding the man's face. "Techno is going to let us stay here. Watch your mouth and be polite."

Techno snorted a laugh at this and chuckled. "Tommy's never been polite a day in his life."

"True," Dream looked at Techno with a laugh as he released Tommy's face and stood from the floor. His eyes watched Tommy as he did, before looking at Techno again.

"I'm right here you know," Tommy told them bitterly.

"Can I borrow a coat from you?" Dream asked Techno, ignoring Tommy's grievances. Techno nodded with a reluctant huff before walking off and climbing up his ladder to the attic. Despite Tommy and himself not liking one another, Techno was at least an adult and knew to be the more mature party in this situation. If Dream didn't have a coat for the kid, and they were trekking through this kind of weather, then he'd help him out.