Chapter XIII - A Playful Exchange

It had been over three hours since Peggy Carter stole his Lizzie from his arms and Bucky wanted her back. Without her his mind wandered and when it wandered it ended up in places he didn't want to be. Dark, damp places where German whispers carried on the wind and burning pain seared through his veins. Places where no one came when he screamed for help. No one came when he cried.

"Hey Buck. Back to us now. Hey. You okay?" The soft sound of concern clinging to Steve's voice and the gentle shake of his shoulders pulled Bucky from the depths of his own mind.

"What? Yeah, no I'm fine." Bucky shook his head slightly and smiled weakly. "When did you get here?"

Steve and Dugan exchanged a glance - neither man knew what Bucky had gone through in that Hydra base but they could see the damage left behind in the glassy look in his eyes. A look that only left when Lizzie was nearby.

"A while ago Buck." Steve offered him a sad smile.

"Oh no. Don't do that."

'Do what?"

"I can't take pity from Steve Rogers. Nope. No way. I kicked so many asses for you before you got all -" Bucky gestured at Steve's entire physique "- this. Don't do this to me you jerk."

Steve stared at Bucky, a little amused but unsure of how to respond, before Dugan's bark of a laugh filled the tent and pulled both men in.

"Barnes. Don't suppose you have any pictures of pre-science Cap lying around do you?"

"I'm sure he does not," the delicate mockery in Peggy Carter's voice hushed the men instantly. She looked at Steve who had immediately risen to his feet from the side of Bucky's bunk and a small smile danced on her lips. "Luckily I do. Be good for the nurses and I'll consider bringing it by some time." Her eyes never strayed from Steve's and Bucky clicked his tongue as he looked over at Dugan.

"If I wasn't so scared of her I might say she's a little smitten herself, don't you think Dugan?" Bucky half whispered, half shouted across to his neighbour in a playful tone.

Steve swung around to face him with a look Bucky had seen many times before but never on this new version of his best friend. His eyes were wide and his lips were tight. He raised his eyebrows as he tilted his head slightly and his jaw clenched.

"You know Steve. That might actually be the first time that look has been somewhat successfully intimidating. Well done." He smirked as he leant over the edge of his cot and looked around Steve to where Peggy stood, her eyes still trained on Captain America. "My apologies Ma'am. It's just Steven here has spoken about you a lot in letters and on that walk back too, and if I don't make you ask him for a drink, he won't ask you. You see, he wants to, he's just not as good with the ladies as some of us."

"That's exactly why I'm fond of him Sergeant." Peggy grinned as Bucky winked at her. Lizzie had chosen a good one. Even in the worst of times Sergeant Barnes could find his humour because those around him needed it.

"Speaking of smitten individuals, you stole my Lizzie a while ago now Ma'am. Any chance of me getting her back?"

"Is that you saying she's smitten or are you telling me you are Sergeant?"

"Oh definitely the latter Ma'am. And as her friend I fully expect you to report that back to her please and thank you."

Peggy's laugh was light and dainty, which Bucky thought didn't quite suit the no nonsense Agent appeal she had.

"I delivered her to the Colonel not long after I stole her Sergeant. I'm afraid you have to ask him for her if you want her soon."

Bucky bit his lip as he nodded thoughtfully, weighing up his options.