Chapter 24 - Rude Question

Erik opened a drawer and pulled out a few guns, handing them over to the others. They had no time to lose. Four hours maximum. Then, the Avengers would come to get them.

"What happens to the explosion?" Bucky asked as he pulled over the leather gloves he'd been given. Fenris grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and answered.

"Don't crack your pretty little head over it, Barnes." He looked up. "Just never forget who we are, and what we can do."

"Fenris," Magnus scolded. "Will you let him in peace? For now, he's on our side. And we care for our allies, don't we?" He walked by and patted Bucky's shoulder.

"I'm not sure whether it was a good idea to bring him," Erik said, quirking a brow. "I mean, yes, he's been vaccinated with the serum and has this freaky metal arm, but maybe he should stay here. I don't want to risk this whole plan going down the drain because Barnes here is looking like a little confused school girl on its first day."

Bucky spun around at his words, his face paling. No chance, that he would stay behind while they went searching for Strange. Without thinking further, he lunged forward and grabbed Erik by his throat, smashing him to the ground where he fixated him.

"Easy," Arne sighed, laying an arm onto his shoulder.

"I'm not staying here," Bucky snarled, still clamping Erik's throat.

"Mad crush, huh?" Erik coughed, trying to loosen his grip.

"And there we are. Just like children," Olaf sighed, walking towards Bucky, pulling him away by his collar. Bucky broke free from the grip and proceeded to glare at Erik, who got up.

"No hard feelings, Barnes. I needed to see what you are made of. Because this shit is going to be hard and we need your head clear and ready to fight and defend. Got me?" Erik held out a gun.

"Yes." Bucky took the gun and put it into his holster. He was more than ready to do everything necessary.

〰〰〰

Katta wiped the sweat from her forehead. Her knuckles hurt and blood dropped out of a cut on her arm.

"Again," Loki demanded. Katta groaned. They were in a living room in an apartment somewhere in New York. The furniture around was shattered from the uncountable fights Loki had demanded. One by one, he'd commanded his assassins to fight against Katta to test her skills.

The next was a man, Katta new from Magnus reports. A hitman for the Brooklyn mafia. He was covered in tattoos from head to toe. It weirdly contrasted with the expensive suit he wore.

"No. N-No more," Katta whispered as he came closer. He didn't answer. Instead, he pulled out a gun, pointing it at her. Out of survival instinct, she lunged forward to twist it out of his hands. God, this man was a mountain. He grabbed Katta's wrist and pulled her towards him, putting her in a headlock. She cursed, clawing at his arms, but he didn't budge.

Katta cried out, the effort tearing on her muscles. She was a supersoldier, yes. But this was madness. She didn't know how many more fights she would win before her body gave in - or her mind. Katta cursed. The next step would be easier if she had thought about stretching beforehand. Katta kicked her leg up and threw herself back. Her shoe connected with the man's face, producing a sickening crack. He grunted and fell on his back, Katta with him. She quickly turned around and brought him to the ground, his hand on his back.

"Tap out!" Katta yelled. He didn't. "Shit, I'm gonna break your goddam arm," she threatened, bending it even more.

"Fine." Loki stood up from his chair and waved off. The man tapped out and Katta stumbled back, landing on the ground, panting. He got up and moved back into the corner he was standing before.