Chapter 2: Lord Marcus Paulen

Marcus got up and dressed, it was nearly 10 and he needed to attend the Wellington ball. His mother had accepted the invitation on his behalf; and he couldn't insult his mother by not showing up.

The Italian opera singer Carmella lay deliciously naked staring at him seductively.

'Leaving already, My Lord?' she asked as she trailed her hand from her breast to her navel.

Well, it wouldn't be an insult if he showed up late, thought Marcus as he joined her in bed again.

It was eleven when he entered the ballroom, and the party was in full swing. No one heard the teller when he announced his name over the Scottish reel. But he didn't suppose his entrance would be missed by ambitious mothers for long. He made his way to the champagne stand as the song came to an end.

When he turned back he saw his friend Antony Bennet walking towards him. In his arm was the most beautiful woman looking happily exhausted.

Marcus was sure she was a debutant because there was no way he could have missed her. She was breathtakingly beautiful with full round breasts, showing ample cleavage. Marcus kept staring at her; he tried but he could not take his eyes off her.

Frances saw a handsome man staring at her and she felt her stomach twist.

The man he danced with 'Bother! what was his name' was leading her straight to him.

'Antony,' greeted the stranger with a short nod.

'Miss Hill, meet Lord Marcus Paulen. Marcus, this is Miss Frances Hill,' Antony introduced.

Frances curtsied, murmuring 'Lord Marcus.' He took Frances's hand and kissed her knuckles lingering longer than usual, all the while staring at her. Frances's stomach gave another jolt and she felt warm in her cheeks.

'Lords, if you will excuse me, I'm parched,' said Frances trying to weasel away.

'Allow me' said Antony and went to fetch her a lemonade. Frances turned pretending to look at the people milling about, she could feel Mr. Paulen staring at her. Mercifully, Mr. Antony was back with lemonade.

'How are you enjoying London, Miss Hill?' asked Antony.

'Lord Vandam' someone called.

Frances was curious to see how the Earl of Brentwood looked. It was Lord Wellington walking their way and Marcus Paulen answered 'Lord Wellington' with a nod.

'You are Lord Vandam, Earl of Brentwood, I shouldn't,' blurted out Frances in shock and scurried away.

'What was that about!' wondered Marcus loudly. Marcus thought he shouldn't have started her like that, but he couldn't help it.

Marcus felt hungry. He and Antony made their way to the sandwich tray. Marcus took a bite and spit it out immediately. Antony looked at him questioningly - 'Peanut' answered Marcus.

Marcus was allergic to peanuts and strawberries, and the last time he had one, he looked like a zebra for a week.

He took another sandwich, which turned out to have peanut butter as well. Marcus thought sandwiches should be sorted and served based on the fillings. He took another sandwich that had strawberry jam. After wasting three sandwiches, he gave up.

Frances prayed to all gods known and unknown that her Aunt Mary never heard of her encounter with Lord Vandam. She took refuge in a balcony that had dim lighting.

She was intrigued by Lord Marcus. She spied him and saw him walk towards the sandwich tray. He took a bite of the sandwich and spit it out. He took another and did the same. Frances gasped as he took the third one and spit it out too. Her Aunt was correct, he was a bread spitter.

Marcus searched the crowd for Frances. Antony gestured with his eye towards the balcony, Marcus looked casually about and saw her partially hidden watching him closely.

Frances saw Marcus walk to the other end and she lost sight of him, 'Where are you, Lord Vandam?' she mumbled and arching her neck.

'Looking for me?' came a voice so close.

Frances gasped, turned and lost her footing. He caught her with strong hands and set her on her feet.

'I shouldn't be seen with you' she shrieked and practically ran away. He usually ran off from debutant advances, and now seeing it reversed he couldn't help but laugh out loud.

**** don't forget to vote. I would like to hear your feedback ****