Chapter Seventy Eight

Nine Months after Civil War
Wakanda

"Please state your name." A voice asked in Catherine's com as she hovered the quinjet over the Wakandan dome.

"Catherine Stark." She said.

"You're clear to enter Agent Stark." She heard the voice say.

She pointed the quinjet downwards, towards the landing platform as the dome opened. She took her headset off, placing it in the seat after she landed safely. She stood from the pilot's seat and grabbed her bag as the hatch opened. Ayo stood outside with a group of village children that she had come to know the last months while visiting Wakanda.

"What's this?" Catherine asked as she stopped in front of them.

"The children wanted to greet you. Oh, and they mentioned something about candy." Ayo said. "You wouldn't happen to know anything about that?"

She attempted to hide the sly smile on her face as she pulled a bag of candy out. The kids jumped around excitedly as she handed them the bag and Ayo gave her a disapproving look. "What? I promised them I would bring some the next time I visited."

The youngest child in the village stepped forward with her small hands wrapped around a bouquet of wildflowers. She said something in Wakandan and Catherine looked up for Ayo to translate. She only understood a few words in the language, but she was trying to learn during her time here.

"She said she picked them for you." Ayo said.

"Thank you." Catherine said softly, taking the flowers. When she stood up, she saw Bucky. No matter how many times she saw him, her heart would always pound against her chest. She slung her bag over her shoulder, laughing while the children went to show Bucky the candy Catherine had brought.

"Hi." Bucky spoke softly, his hand wrapping around her waist.

"Hi." She said, kissing him gently.

"You look happy." He stated as they began to walk to his hut.

"Well, I'm here with you aren't I?" She asked, her lips forming a charming smile.

"That was corny." Bucky teased as they heard a rumble of thunder in the distance. "You heard from Steve lately?"

Catherine sighed, placing her bag on floor of the hut. "Not much. I try to keep my distance, given the fact that if I was caught with them, I would go to prison. I'm sure they're okay. Hopefully."

"I still don't think it was worth it." His voice was quiet, sadness written all over his face.

She took his hand, squeezing it gently. "I do."

"Don't you think your opinion is slightly biased?"

"Probably. One day, I hope you'll be able to realize that you deserve a good life. Not being locked up." She told him. "Tony proposed Pepper last week."

"Oh. Did she say yes?" He asked.

Catherine smiled. "Yeah, she did. I'm happy for them. They're good for one another. Then he asked me if I would ever settle down."

Bucky was quiet. Settling down. It was something he could only dream about. Spending the rest of his life with someone, living a life full of peace. It didn't seem attainable. She was looking at him with an almost hopefulness. He knew she wanted him forever. But could he be her forever? The soft sounds of rain against the roof snapped him out of his trance.

"Ayo wants to try and see if I can resist the words that activate the Winter Solider tonight." He told her.

He changed the subject completely. Her heart sunk slightly, but she knew better than to push him. It would only cause him to recede back into his shell. "Wow. How do you feel about that?"