40 Lucid

Nora~~

Avery and Ricky sit on the floor across from me in the basement of Ricky's club. The walls are a too bright white and the dull blue carpet scratches at my calves.

I touch my neck lightly where it's tender, wincing, but it reminds me of what Aaron did minutes ago. That I didn't imagine it.

When he was knocked away from me, I ran. I didn't look to see who it was that rescued me, didn't want to find out if my savior was only another enemy.

Avery and Ricky found me before I made it back to the Den and led me the rest of the way to the club and downstairs.

"We're like you—Lucid," Ricky says, a wary yet tender look on his face.

I drop my hand from my neck. "I remember that term. It's being aware."

"That you're dreaming," Avery clarifies. "In this dream the Lucid are the only ones who can get their memories back. You can tell others we're dreaming, but they won't remember their past."

"Some of us like Avery can manipulate the dream."

"Manipulate?" My voice croaks, my throat aching.

A blanket appears in Avery's hands and she gets up on her knees to drape it around me. An hour ago, I would have been freaked out, but after realizing this is a dream, a blanket materializing out of the air is not shocking. I tug on the ends, pulling it tighter and push past the pain in my throat to tell them about Ryann. How he used to be Aaron. That he tried to get me to take the res and, when I wouldn't, attacked me.

Neither have heard of the scientists altering memories like that. The scientists.

Oneirologists.

My . . . dad brought me to a facility with the oneirologists. With Doctor Pace.

A dad.

A mom.

A brother and a sister.

My heart aches.

"I had a family." My dad took that away from me—took me away from them.

I know I should have hundreds of questions, but it feels as if I've lost two friends in one night: Aaron and Ryann. Tye—I need to get to him. Tell him what's happened. Make him believe me. "Home. I need to get home."

Avery's frown is laced with pity. "We have no way to wake up."

I shake my head, ignoring the stab of pain those words bring for later. "I mean in here. My friend, he'll be worrying about me." I unspool my crossed legs from the blanket and rise to my feet, folding the fabric.

"Do you want us to come with you?" Ricky asks as they both stand.

"I think I just need time to process all of this."

Ricky places his hand on my shoulder, lightly as if he's afraid of startling me. "When you're ready, the Lion's Den will always be open for you."

*****

Tye hops up off the couch when his door slides open and I walk through. "How was your night?"

I rub at my face. "Ryann and I aren't friends anymore."

Tye shifts his weight onto the balls of his feet and lets out a breath. "What?"

"There's no way you're going to believe me, but I need you to at least listen." I start at the beginning of the night, not hiding any detail. Maybe if he hears the words dream and sleep, it will trigger something.

After I finish recounting tonight, I cycle back to the day I went to the conservatory, the night Radia went missing when Tye wasn't able to get me to respond and anytime something happened to me where we weren't able to explain what happened. That night at Radia's work—did I fall asleep?

Tye sinks onto the couch, rubbing his face with his hands. "Do you hear yourself?"

"I need you to know because I'm going to have to hide this from just about everyone. I don't want to hide this from you too."

"I'm going to need proof."

"And I'll get it for you." I don't know how, but I will.

What kind of proof do you think Nora needs?